Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Single-Stack 40 Failure to Feed

OKCDaddy

• 2 weeks later...

Love my .40 Trojan. Finally gave up trying to get it to run with factory length ammo in the 9rd mags, just cant seem to get it to run reliably. Loading long for the 9rd mags for IDPA. Will run factory with 8rd mags that have the spacer on the inside of the mag. Anyone able to run the Tripp 9rd mags with factory lenght ammo reliably?

Just figured it out on Sunday at 105 degrees in the sun. It was just the thristy grasshoppers and me out there. Berry round nose 180's fed the best, at 1.180 to 1.185 with 3 of the 5 Tripp magazines. Other 2 Tripps nosedived the rounds for FTF. Tried using some very old mags, 8 round McCormicks and those fed quite well regardless of bullet type or OAL. So looks like it is a feed lip issue - which I did not yet correct to 0.394 but will now. Mags are numbered and their functionality was recorded to match up corrective action. Limited 10 here we come. Thanks all!!

Another writer asked about Trojan 9 - I use Tripps 10rnd mags for single stack and they have functioned flawlessly. I've also used his 9 rnd mags in the past when that was there only option (1st gen), and those worked without hiccup too.

Have you looked at the hood of your barrel? When I used some Tripp mags they sat up higher and with a SWC the bullet would hit the hood and slow it up. All I had to do was give it a chamfer. Does the bottom of your hood have a chamfer?

Love my .40 Trojan. Finally gave up trying to get it to run with factory length ammo in the 9rd mags, just cant seem to get it to run reliably. Loading long for the 9rd mags for IDPA. Will run factory with 8rd mags that have the spacer on the inside of the mag. Anyone able to run the Tripp 9rd mags with factory lenght ammo reliably?

I have 2 Trojans in .40.

One likes long ammo in 10mm, or,.45 magazines, if I want to load 9, or, factory length, in magazines with spacers, but, I'm just looking for issues if I try running short ammo out of long magazines.

The other .40 Trojan was bought from XXXXXX, and "tuned". From day one, getting the first round loaded was always iffy, but, it ran otherwise. Slide lock reloads would only work MAYBE half the time. I could see no difference between anything on the two pistols. I called, where it was bought from, and was told that it was STIs problem. I FINALLY contacted STI, and according to the paperwork I got back with the gun, they re-cut the ramp. Even though it looks no different to me, I took it to the range, and did over 50 slide lock reloads, with a variety of short ammo, out of 10mm, Tripp mags, and I couldn't get it to miss a beat. :D

Kudos to STI! :cheers:

Have you looked at the hood of your barrel? When I used some Tripp mags they sat up higher and with a SWC the bullet would hit the hood and slow it up. All I had to do was give it a chamfer. Does the bottom of your hood have a chamfer?

Hello: Do you have any 45 magazines? If so try them and see how it feeds. I make the feed lips 0.394" front to back on my single stack mags for 40. That allows the round to sit up higher and feeds better. I also use 45 mags in my 40 SS's. Hope this helps. Thanks, Eric

The 45 mags worked flawlessly, but they are 8 rounders. I searched for a video or descriptor for feed lip adjustment and didnt find much. You Tube is great for "how to's" but nothing there i could find. I may have to watch the gunsmith do one first.

What is hood chamfer? Is it a cut/shaving in the hood?

It is a beveled edge. On the end of the hood, on the chamber side. What was happening to me was the gun worked fine but when I used a combination of Tripp mags and a SWC bullet it would sometimes FTF. With the bullet sitting higher, the top of the bullet would catch on the sharp corner of the hood.

What is hood chamfer? Is it a cut/shaving in the hood?

It is a beveled edge. On the end of the hood, on the chamber side. What was happening to me was the gun worked fine but when I used a combination of Tripp mags and a SWC bullet it would sometimes FTF. With the bullet sitting higher, the top of the bullet would catch on the sharp corner of the hood.

I have 2 Trojans in .40.

One likes long ammo in 10mm, or,.45 magazines, if I want to load 9, or, factory length, in magazines with spacers, but, I'm just looking for issues if I try running short ammo out of long magazines.

The other .40 Trojan was bought from XXXXXX, and "tuned". From day one, getting the first round loaded was always iffy, but, it ran otherwise. Slide lock reloads would only work MAYBE half the time. I could see no difference between anything on the two pistols. I called, where it was bought from, and was told that it was STIs problem. I FINALLY contacted STI, and according to the paperwork I got back with the gun, they re-cut the ramp. Even though it looks no different to me, I took it to the range, and did over 50 slide lock reloads, with a variety of short ammo, out of 10mm, Tripp mags, and I couldn't get it to miss a beat. :D

Kudos to STI! :cheers:

When the ramp was re-cut, did it leave a small portion of the case unsupported by the chamber?