Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Benelli MP95 Atlanta ammo question

B!ngo

About a dozen years ago I purchased a Benelli MP95E Atlanta .22LR target-quality pistol. It's a beautiful gun, great visual design and allegedly quite accurate though in my hands, it's quite limited by the shooter. Not a competitive shooter, I use it for targets at the range, and it has some great plinking potential as well.

Because it's not a very common piece, it's hard to get the details on specs, usage, etc. Some thing I always wanted to know was what constraints, if any, there are on ammo for the gun. Can I use CCI mini-mags? Stingers? Any of the high-powered .22LR ammo? And any limitations on the subsonic side? Any recommendations for ammo in these categories?

If anyone here has either direct experience with the MP95E (or it's more sophisticated brother the MP90) or otherwise knows the history and specifications of the pistol, I'd really appreciate some help.

Thanks,

B

I stay away from stingers for the most part. It should shoot factory ammo just fine, but you might want to stick to whatever it shoots most accurately and also that which it functions best with.

My benelli shoots CCI standard velocity very well,and shoots the cheap Armscore standard velocity pretty well also. I would try to stay with standard velocity ammo. That's really what target pistols like benelli's and pardini's were designed to shoot. Later, Ed

• 11 years later...

HELP!

I've had a Benelli MP95E with 2 mags for several years & enjoyed it as a lite target gun but mostly for recreational use. My club's junior rifle team shot at the M.I.T. range in Cambridge and I got to know the people there. Their (MIT) pistol coach recommended this Benelli model for target use as his team used them reliably for years. So I bought one and used it occasionally. I shoot his recommended CCI Std Velocity ammo.

Now, 20 years later, it's giving me lots of problems. The biggest problem is extracting the empty shell. The action is clear/open on top. During extraction, the empty shell seems to rub up too much on the next round on the magazine and stops in a jam leaving the action open. The next bullet is sufficiently marked on top so it wouldn't have chambered anyway.

It seems that I may have a magazine problem.

Has anyone encountered this situation?

Where can I find a reliable gunsmith to fix this?

On 10/28/2023 at 8:02 PM, Goody290 said:

HELP!

I've had a Benelli MP95E with 2 mags for several years & enjoyed it as a lite target gun but mostly for recreational use. My club's junior rifle team shot at the M.I.T. range in Cambridge and I got to know the people there. Their (MIT) pistol coach recommended this Benelli model for target use as his team used them reliably for years. So I bought one and used it occasionally. I shoot his recommended CCI Std Velocity ammo.

Now, 20 years later, it's giving me lots of problems. The biggest problem is extracting the empty shell. The action is clear/open on top. During extraction, the empty shell seems to rub up too much on the next round on the magazine and stops in a jam leaving the action open. The next bullet is sufficiently marked on top so it wouldn't have chambered anyway.

Has anyone essay encountered this situation?

Check Ammo: Make sure you are using the correct ammunition (CCI Std Velocity) and that it is in good condition. Sometimes using old or damaged ammunition can cause extraction problems.

I also think the problem can be cleaning and Lubrication. Your gun has to be clean and well lubricated. Dirty or dry components can lead to extraction problems. Pay special attention to the extractor, ejector and slide rails.

What about finding a reliable gunsmith, I trust sites like "EncontreUmArmeiro.com". (I have experience working with pistols like the Benelli MP95E).

On a lot of the old .22 Short pistols for Int'l Rapid Fire (like the Domino, Walther OSP, and the Pardini), we'd put a drop of oil on the tip of bullet just before seating the mag.  I don't know if that'd help, but it worked there....

On 10/28/2023 at 10:02 AM, Goody290 said:

HELP!

Has anyone encountered this situation?

Contact Gregg Derr at Derr Precision. Gregg is a bullseye shooter he may have insight on your issues with the Benelli.

• 1 month later...

As for ammo for the Benelli MP95E, I've always used CCI Std Velocity blue tag. I was cautioned when I bought the gun that I should only use that CCI round or Remington Std Vel ammo. I've tried several other rounds and all have failed. The gun likes a round that has a muzzle velocity of about 1050-1100 fps. Both the CCI and Rem rounds are in this range. All the others caused an extract hangup failure. The CCI is also an awesomely accurate ctg for this gun.

I tried a drop of oil on the top of a round when inserting the magazine and that helped a different problem that I was having.

For sites, I bought a cheap reflex site that works great. With this combo (ammo & site), I routinely shoot 30 rds at 10 meters into a 3" circle with most in the 10 ring and X ring offhand and unsupported. Great recreational shooter.