Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mossberg 930 is a bolt action now

waktasz

Was shooting my buddy's 930 (that I was considering buying) at a match on Saturday. On the second stage I started to have major issues. It would fire, then I'd pull the trigger and get a click, then I'd have to eject that live round, then it would fire, then click again...and repeat. I ate a lot of misses and FTEs on that stage because I ended up racking all my ammo out into the dirt. Any idea what would cause that?

It was Estate #7 1/2. We used the same ammo at the Topton 3man match and we both shot his same gun that day with no issues.

During the stage someone yelled to me to push forward on the bolt to make sure it was forward. It did feel like I was able to push it a tiny bit forward, but it still went click and I had to rack out that round.

Not going into battery.

Need to clean the piston, gas rings, mag tube and barrel where the piston rings contact.

Carbon builds up on the piston/rings which cause the bolt to not go into full battery and you get light strikes at best.

Over lubricating the piston/rings seems to speed the fouling.

You need to dissassemble the rings (2 rings)from the piston to clean them inside and out. A dremmil with a wire wheel works best.

When you reassemble; before putting on the forend, with the bolt locked back, holding the barrel in place, you should be able to move the piston to the rear and the light spring on the mag tube should return it to the fully forward position.

The part I'm not 100% sure about:

As far as pushing the bolt forward by the handle to fully seat it. I'm not sure this would work, while the bolt may be fully forward the slide might not be. The handle will push the bolt forward but not the "Slide" My link which the bolt sits on. I think to go fully forward the slide being pushed by the buffer spring has to overcome the piston friction. The spring on the mag tube should be enough to return the piston to the forward position without relying on the buffer spring which is pushing the slide and bolt into battery.

PS. I'm Not an Engineer Dude, just a guy who has fixed a bunch on stuff designed by Engineer Dudes.

David E.

Edited by Nuke8401

"Frog Lube"... I just wipe off the buildup on my 930's piston and rings.... I'm very sceptical by nature, but this stuff works. The comp on my 9mm open 2011 is like new. I couldn't believe the crud that came off it (It did take some work the 1st. time but now it's a cleanup with a "Q" tip).

Edited by mike NM

"Frog Lube"... I just wipe off the buildup on my 930's piston and rings.... I'm very sceptical by nature, but this stuff works. The comp on my 9mm open 2011 is like new. I couldn't believe the crud that came off it (It did take some work the 1st. time but now it's a cleanup with a "Q" tip).

Did you first clean with something else, use alcohol, then applied FG the first time, then noticed it was easy to clean, or did you use FG as the cleaner?

Thanks,

MP

• 1 month later...

typically they need cleaning.

Was just at park city.

some guns run forever without cleaning.

some need more frequent cleanings.

we had this disussion. some old remingtons need to be cleaned every 300 to 500 round.

my FNH aobut 800 round.

one guy says he never cleans his Binnelli.