Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Colt 1911 brass dent

Hey guys a friend of mine just got a mk model 70 and was a bit concerned about it putting a dent in the side of the brass I don't think it is a big deal but thought it better to ask someone more familiar with 1911. Not sure how big the dent is he is going to mail me some rounds and let me take a look. I will try to post pics if I think it is too extream. Just wondering what might be the cause of the dent.

I have seen this with my Glock 19 and asked some local Glock shooters. This seems to be a known experience with a Glock and it is the casing being nicked during the ejection process. I get a small, almost triangle like nick that is about 1/16 inches. This causes no problems and is removed by my resizing die. I blamed my shooting low and left on the nick but no one here is buying it. Hope this helps...

• 1 month later...

I find it hard to believe that a gun that functions is capable of deforming a case THAT much. Does he have more than one piece of brass that looks like that?

I've seen and experienced much worse. A resizing die will take that right out but I've had brass hit the case mouth or even get caught by the slide and tear the metal.

No big deal especially if he doesn't reload otherwise tuning the extractor or ejector will most likely take care of although it might be little more challenging on that gun since I don't believe it has a lowered and flared ejection port.