Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

St. George, Utah

sperman

Just curious. What is the closest major airport to St. George?

Check for connecting flights into SGU. My wife flew there after Area 1 so we could hit Zion and the Grand Canyon.

Later,

Chuck

Edited by ChuckS

• 2 weeks later...

St. George is. They have flights connect through Salt Lake and it's a pretty decent airport from what I understand. When I was flying in for A1 it was only about $100.00 more to fly into St. George as opposed to Las Vegas. St. George is about a 90 minute drive from Vegas if you want to fly in there though.

St. George is. They have flights connect through Salt Lake and it's a pretty decent airport from what I understand. When I was flying in for A1 it was only about $100.00 more to fly into St. George as opposed to Las Vegas. St. George is about a 90 minute drive from Vegas if you want to fly in there though.

Most of the country has access to discount non-stop service in and out of Las Vegas, on carriers like Allegiant Airlines, etc. Travel to St. George is going to take most of those discount airlines out of play, so most of us would be looking at going from no stops to two stops in order to fly into SGU--which increases the price significantly, more than doubles the travel time, and increases the odds of having a luggage problem with the guns.

Realistically, very few competitors are going to fly into SGU. The vast majority will fly into Vegas and drive to St. George.

If the match is going to be held within a couple hours of Las Vegas, I think it would be better to just leave it at Desert Sportsmans. If it's time to move it, fine--but move it to another part of the country completely.

If you are flying into Vegas remember that there is a 1 hr time difference. We had a couple of shooters on our squad at area 1 that where late because they did not factor in the time difference. and let me tell you, that 7:30 am flight out of Vegas is earlier than you think when you factor in the 90min drive and the time change.

Mike

Two of the airlines websites I checked with only show Salt Lake for the state of Utah. Nothing against St George or it supporters, but I think Carmoney may be right on this one.

Delta has quite a bit of service, United has a couple flights. Those are the only two airports that serve SGU. I figured everyone would fly into Vegas for A1. I was surprised by the number of folks that flew direct into SGU. It doesn't really matter to me where you fly into. I'm not telling anyone where they need to fly into, just giving the options.

As far as the match leaving Las Vegas, there are a number of reasons for moving the match. If it ends up in St. George Phil has his reasons.

Out of curiousity I just checked fares from PDX to SGU and PDX to LAS. 247/163 on Delta. For Des Moines to SGU and Des Moines to LAS it was 330/286. I'm sure there are cheaper options, but the prices really don't seem that bad to me.

Edited by Chuck Anderson