Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Should I Invest in a Dillon xl650?

I love the 650. Started on a SDB, skipped over the 550 and went for the 650 when I up graded. I have full tool heads and conversion now for everything from 9mm to 44 mag. Once you are used to the machine and get the feel to seating a primer you can really cruise through the rounds. I would move up to a 1050 but don't have enough volumn to justify the cost of a machine new or used.

I'd go with a Dillon (again)

another vote for the 650; its a great machine but really needs the casefeeder to use it up to its full potential. the 550 is a good machine too and very versatile but not quite as quick. The 650 is great for volume loading. Had a bit of a learning curve switching from a 550, but thats to be expected with any machine. So glad I upgraded.

I have started reloading only on a 550b for about 5 years and recently started using a 650. i can tell you a friend of mine uses a green colored progressive reloader and also red one. he claims that he can reload faster on his machine than my dillon. so we tried to reload 9mm and supers on his machines and mine and time the reloading process. 10/10 the dillon will out-produce the others by as much as 100 rnds more per hour.

now, that is performance. and...... if his machines break, he is out of luck while mine is still cranking along..

If you want something that can assemble ammo get any dillon. They have great used prices if you decide to change models.

It's a personal choice in the end and hopefully your next purchase will improve your spare time to enjoyment ratio.

DNH

I started with a dillon sdb went to a 550 then a 650, wow night and day dif. Wish I had started with a 650 could have saved some cash. And yes get the case feeder no regrets whatsoever

My 1st machine was a 650. Loved it. Loaded 89 rounds in 6 min without even trying.

Sold it and bought a 1050. The 1050 arrived today. I love it more than the 650. Way better. smoother. faster, less variation in the end cartridges.

loaded 400 rounds already....soon to be 4000...:)

Edited by eddiegunks

• 2 weeks later...

I currently run a Lee Loadmaster for 9mm, 45 ACP, and 5.56, On most reloading sessions I reload around 500 rounds in an hour

WOW - 500 rounds/hour? :surprise:

That's fantastic !!!

Wish I could load that fast - I'm around 200 rounds/hour,

but I have plenty of time to reload :rolleyes:

:cheers:

You could load 200 an hour on a 650 even with stopping for smoke breaks, beer breaks, bathroom breaks, phone call breaks, etc. There were some rough spots while learning and breaking in the machine but after that it flat runs and is a fine machine. I think at first most of the problem was I just needed to develop a good consistant rhythm and feel on both the down and up strokes.