Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

XDm Slide Racker

Reshoot

I used 1/2" cold roll round stock, 10-32 flat head Torx bolt and 10-32 square nut.

Not having a knurling tool, I just cut grooves with the lathe. There is not enough material in that part of the slide to allow for ample threads, so I drilled a through hole. I then shaped a square nut to fit in the radius. Had to mill the nut down too, as it was too tall.

I used Birchwood Casey Super Blue, liquid gun blue, to color the racker. As you can see, that did not turn out as I had hoped. I applied blue thread lock to the bolt / nut, and tightened to the point of nearly pulling the threads out of the nut.

After shooting two matches a month since February, and the Ohio Sectional, I found the slide racker just a touch loose last week. I believe it is time to make a nut from better material. That store-bought nut is pretty soft.

Perhaps Springer Precision and Canyon Creek could improve on this design and offer to install slide rackers (hint, hint)!

I apologize for the picture quality, or rather the lack there of.

post-23750-0-60377100-1340364489_thumb.j

post-23750-0-27263200-1340364508_thumb.j

post-23750-0-65910700-1340364526_thumb.j

post-23750-0-73789500-1340364546_thumb.j

post-23750-0-47264700-1340364563_thumb.j

Edited by Reshoot

• 2 weeks later...

I don't get it. Why would anybody NEED a slide racker on an iron sighted gun? :blink:

ummm . . . . what has NEED got to do with it?

A) legal to do so

B) just plain sexy

C) rather macho

D) all of the above

:roflol:

I don't get it. Why would anybody NEED a slide racker on an iron sighted gun? :blink:

Optics might be next?

Arthritis?

My plan it to return this gun to Springer, this winter, for a threaded barrel and compensator. I already have Springer's dove tail mount and my holographic sight tucked away ;)

I want mine because I dont want my hand slipping off my slide in the dead middle of 100 degree weather and sweat on my hands while im trying to rack in a new mag or fix a failure to load. I even have grip tape in the serrations at the back of the slide but it doesnt really help alot. :sight:

I've been working on one that is removable and no modifications are needed to the pistol. I have some other things in front of it on the CNC, but it is simple and effective and cost effective.

You have my attention, Scott! :cheers:

As to need... My wife has problems with racking the slides of several pistols because of hand strength. She sometimes gets a cut from the rear sight as her hand goes over the gun when speed racking. I can see a need for this mod in some cases, but I hope this will not interfere with the draw. I suppose it could be a matter of practice, but getting your thumb past that might be an impediment.

I found one of these mass produced but there for fitting in the rear sight slot, shooting limited this isn't an option unless you rig up a rear sight on top of it. For open I guess it's already an option for them...

• 3 weeks later...

My new and improved XDm slide racker!

Designed out of necessity, and finished up this morning, this aluminum model weights 5.8 grams. The origional, 13.7 grams. That, in itself, is reason enough! But, what really got me to redesign was the fact that my finger hit the Fast Fire II switch, and turned the unit off. I also decided to increase the "length" to one inch. Using a CR Speed WSM II holster, I saw that the additional 1/4" would not pose a problem. And, this REALLY improves my table starts ;)

It took me somewhere around eight hours to whittle this sucker out! I did it with a drill press, hole saw, hack saw, bench vise, belt/disk sander and Dremel. Good thing I'm retired, eh?

post-23750-0-92043000-1343398782_thumb.j

post-23750-0-51078500-1343398800_thumb.j

post-23750-0-69280400-1343398816_thumb.j

post-23750-0-39706400-1343398836_thumb.j

post-23750-0-05069500-1343398859_thumb.j

Edited by Reshoot

I REALLY REALLY like that! pm me a fair price since your retired itll give you something to do tomorrow :roflol:

Let me think about that . . . . umm . . . . NO! There is no freaking way I am going to spend 8 hours, in the shop again, to make ONE of these things! Having said that, I am going to meet with a man who has a small machine shop, sometime this coming week. I will be looking for a quote to do the "rough machining".

First live fire testing yesterday . . . . got a little bug to work out.

I have located a source for grade 8 chrome plated bolts, and developed a way to make a hard nut. Whoa, that doesn't sound right! :roflol:

Stayed tuned . . .

Isn't a slide racker also going to be legal in USPSA Limited competition starting on January 1, 2013?

Good Luck And Be Safe!!!

:D

Actually, the slide racker is legal now in Limited division. If I understand the proposed rule changes correctly, one could take the comp, and optics, off an open gun and shoot Limited come January. Well, as long as your mags do not exceed 140mm.

Edited by Reshoot

• 2 weeks later...