Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Nook Simple Touch

Mark R

Hey folks…for those of you using Nooks…take a look at my new Nook ST screen saver…attached.

Easy to do…

1) create a JPG/BMP file 600w x800h size….gray scale preferably.

2) Save it as a PNG file extension.

3) Plug your nook st into your pc using the usb cable.

4) When the file system comes up, you will see a screensaver folder. Open the screensaver folder and create a new folder inside called “shooting”.

5) Then copy/move your PNG file into that folder.

6) Modify your Nook setting to use the “shooting” screensaver folder. When on ADW rooted screen where your Practiscore icon is, press on the top center, right icon (circle with 3 horizontal lines in it). On bottom of screen press on settings. In Settings Screen press on Screen, then Screensaver and then select “Shooting”. You can add more PNG files later to the shooting folder and the Nook will cycle through them.

post-15700-0-25944700-1340291040_thumb.j

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Nice to see you guys using the "Press n to wake up" line at the bottom.

I create a saver and ran it for a while without the line and when the Nooks went to sleep, I had people asking me how to wake it up...so I came up with that idea based on the Nook savers.

Nice to see you guys using the "Press n to wake up" line at the bottom.

I create a saver and ran it for a while without the line and when the Nooks went to sleep, I had people asking me how to wake it up...so I came up with that idea based on the Nook savers.

Yeah... Actually if you look at the default woodcut authors' screens or the nature screen, they say the same thing at the bottom, but it's so understated (read "small"!) that's it's easy to miss. Of course, I also have my screen timeout value set to the max 1 hour so one of these going to sleep during a match probably isn't going to be an issue anyway.

Edited by wgnoyes

• 2 weeks later...

Our Nooks got some range time today scoring a Steel Challenge and Multi-Gun side match. First match we scored with them. E-Ink is awesome! Everyone who scored with one loved it. Screen size and lack of glare off the screen is Perfect.

We just picked up 5 more.

Bob

Central Ozarks Practical Shooters MO08

Edited by Glock27

We did the same for our first beta-testing tablet. Planning to add the wake up note plus the hostname on the screensaver to make each one unique & identifiable.

post-7730-0-64956800-1355631969_thumb.pn

Anyone know how to set the wallpaper with the same type of custom image? I know the image has to be a few pixels shorter but I've been unsuccessful applying one as a background.

Also, we're going to order another 6 Nook Simple Touches this week - any source to try for a better price while buy 6? Saw them as cheap as $49/ea on Black Friday but didn't get out to get any.

Our registration software is also coming along nicely - exporting directly to Practiscore's PSC backup format from online user registrations.

* Need another like on Facebook to finalize the name if anyone would do me the favor.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Squad-Signup/541911662487648

We did the same for our first beta-testing tablet. Planning to add the wake up note plus the hostname on the screensaver to make each one unique & identifiable.

post-7730-0-64956800-1355631969_thumb.pn

Anyone know how to set the wallpaper with the same type of custom image? I know the image has to be a few pixels shorter but I've been unsuccessful applying one as a background.

Also, we're going to order another 6 Nook Simple Touches this week - any source to try for a better price while buy 6? Saw them as cheap as $49/ea on Black Friday but didn't get out to get any.

Our registration software is also coming along nicely - exporting directly to Practiscore's PSC backup format from online user registrations.

* Need another like on Facebook to finalize the name if anyone would do me the favor.

https://www.facebook...541911662487648

Overstock.com. This final week before Christmas, I'd watch the usual suspects: Target, Walmart, B&N itself. I wouldn't particularly recommend buying someone's used device off of ebay or craigslist; you don't know what kind of misery you're getting.

Overstock.com. This final week before Christmas, I'd watch the usual suspects: Target, Walmart, B&N itself. I wouldn't particularly recommend buying someone's used device off of ebay or craigslist; you don't know what kind of misery you're getting.

Brand new from B&N right now for $79, which is close to overstock.com's $74 for a refurb. Something else to be aware of: the refurbs do not include the AC adapter.

Oh, and the $79 is the new regular B&N price; that's not a seasonal sale. No point in buying refurbs from overstock.com now when for $5 more you can get new from B&N.

Edited by wgnoyes

• 2 weeks later...

Our club just bought 5 new Nooks from WalMart (79 each). 4 of the 5 didn't have the AC adapter. They have a little sticker on the back of the box over the contents that list only the Nook and cable.

Our club just bought 5 new Nooks from WalMart (79 each). 4 of the 5 didn't have the AC adapter. They have a little sticker on the back of the box over the contents that list only the Nook and cable.

I looked at the B&N website. They cost $79 now instead of $99, but now I see they're charging extra for the adapter. ($4.97 on their website.)

Edited by wgnoyes

How do NSTs handle cold weather? Our January match will start at ~25F.

Don't know; the operating specs don't include temperature ranges. If you're worried about battery life in the cold, keep it in a coat pocket when not in use or maybe do what we don't do in the summer, which is lay it out in the sunlight backside up.

• 4 weeks later...

Local Staples had NST's on "clearance" for $49.90. They only had 1 and can't order any more in to the store. They said NSTs could only be ordered online from them from now on...

Bob

Edited by Glock27

• 1 month later...

Not really. I found some velcro bookstraps and have them wrapped together front to back in groups of 3. An old large targus computer bag (I think it's also an overnighter) has pouches that seem like they were custom-made for containing strapped-together nooks. Previously, I've thought about taking a video camera bag and putting them in that, again front-to-back, but the targus bag also carries my registration netbook, router, forms, and other stuff which the camera bag couldn't. These things are pretty robust. if you can just find a relatively snug overall container, packing them all in a front-to-back configuration should do you just fine and still protect the screens, which after all, are somewhat recessed.