Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New barrel refuses to eat steel case

steviesterno

Hey all,

so in my quest to not suck as much, I upgraded from a stag 16" average carbine barrel to a JP 18" rifle gas 1/8 with Wilde chamber. It shoots the snot out of federal brass, but when I tried to even get Wolf, Tula, or Herters to fire, I get nothing. It quickly becomes a bolt action gun, mostly not ejecting the spent round, despite resetting the hammer. If I pull the CH back it rips it out no problem.

Now I'm fine with shooting brass in matches, and it seems to shoot the hornady steel cases fine. Was just hoping to run cheaper ammo for practice. Any suggestions?

And I'm also assuming I'd be an idiot to put a 22 conversion kit in to practice with, or will that be fine?

Do what Nick said.

My JP rifle (18" rifle gas,LMOS)came with the gas system turned down low enough that after about ten rounds of PMC (which is a little hotter than Wolf), it was short stroking (not every round). I gave it a quarter turn more gas and it ran fine. After break in, I ran a couple hundred rounds through it and it was getting to where it wouldn't lock open on the last round, so I gave it a tad more gas. Now it will run reliably w/o cleaning or oiling for at least 250 rounds, possibly more. If you want to run Wolf, you will need more gas.

Hurley

I was running hand loads for the longest time. I had some factory 55 grains stuff for SMM3G. When I went out to sight in the my gun, I had a single shot! Thank goodness for the JP adjustable gas block. A turn or two and I was running fine.

I learned my lesson.

I beleive that the only steel case ammo that JP recommends using in their rifles is Hornady Steel match. Don't run crap fuel in your Ferrari.

You would be an idiot to shoot .22 LRs through your JP .223 Wylde upper. It is twisted way too fast for .22LR. Get a dedicated .22LR upper.