Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which Revolver?

shotgunsportz

I am going to purchase my first Smith and Wesson revolver.

I have been following these threads for a while and find that you folks have a lot of worthwhile information. My dilema. There is such a myriad of models that it can make your head spin! I would like suggestions for a couple of guns. I don't know if I will ever compete in IDPA or USPA, but if I do, I would like a gun that is capable for both disciplines. The majority of the time, this gun will be used in a range setting for sheer enjoyment. I am leaning towards the 625 and the 686P in 4".

The other gun will be for CCW and I am leaning towards a 686P in 2.5" a model 60 and also a model 66.

I do not reload metallic and do not anticipate reloading as I spend enough time reloading for shotgun games (and I don't have room!).

Your suggestions and responses are appreciated.

shotgunsportz,

You have it figgured out pretty well, my only suggestion is find someone who has one or both of these guns and try them out if they will let you, most people will.

I myself started with a Ruger GP 100 4 inch and went to the S&W 610 after a year and shoot .40S&W in it for both USPSA and IDPA

I have now picked up a 625 5 inch for USPSA and have a 646 on the way for IDPA as I have small hands and like the L frame a little better, I might try it for USPSA but don't think I will like it as the hotter loads in USPSA will really make the L frame recoil. The 610 will now become a backup gun and get a scope during deer season and be the meat gun.

Good Luck, I don't think you will be disapointed either way.

Sam Keen

shotgunsportz,

Looks like you are in the market for two guns: One for fun and one for CCW.

NOTE: I have NO experience with CCW so take my suggestion as a practical suggestion. You can get a 686P 4" for fun and a 686P 2.5" .38 for carry, although an L frame is a fairly hefty sized gun to conceal and wear around all day. Maybe you can get one of those alloy 686P for carry. Something to think about.

Since you indicate that you are not going to press your own ammo, buying two guns of the same caliber would require only one caliber ammo purchase.

If you are purchasing two of the same framed guns, you can always use your CCW reloaders to compete in USPSA and or IDPA. That way you continually use the same ammo and loaders and get used to them.

Using a .38 in USPSA would be scored minor. If you are out to have fun, then scoring Major/Minor should be of little concern. Just shoot more A's if minor.

Definitely, look, touch and test fire (if possible) before you buy.

Good luck with whatever choice you make.

RPM8shot

ShotgunSportz....for games.. one of the 6xx guns using full moon clips, smaller diameter cylinder is easier to shoot double action.... for carry.. 3inch M65 round butt....for concealed carry a Centennial 642/442 (38spl) or 640 (.357mag)for "ooo's and ahh's" a Hamilton Bowen custom on a Ruger Bisley single action in a caliber that you can clean the cylinders with your finger.... regards

I think that the 686s are the best revos Smith makes. I have small hands and they fit me really well. I've had several in both 4 and 6 inch and really like both. There are so many out there you can usually get a good used one for $350 to $400. While not as good as an action job, a new set of springs makes a big difference as well. These cost $15 or less. As someone else mentioned getting them cut for moon clips is a good idea also. I had a guy that would do this for $35 it just took him a while. You may also want to look for one that is already drilled and tapped should you ever want to add optics to it. I always liked the older ones with the firing pin on the hammer as well.

625's are nice too, but I've never shot mine really well.

As far as carry goes I have no idea I carry a Glock.

Have fun shopping!

I think that the 686s are the best revos Smith makes. I always liked the older ones with the firing pin on the hammer .

I've owned a great many different model Smiths and I'd have to agree with this conclusion.

I've been carrying my 386PD for about a month and a half. It is perfect, under the circumstances. We wear a "soft uniform" at work, khaki slacks and a polo shirt, concealed carry. I think of it as a pocket pistol on steroids.