Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

N 310 vs. N320

kdlfarm

I have decided on N320 powder, but having a tuff time finding this powder. I will be using 124 gr. FMJ MG, is there a big difference between N310 and N320? If I can't find 320 can I use 310 with different amounts?

Thank you for your time.

You don't mention what caliber you are loading...assuming 9mm or .38 with the 124 MG and agree that N310 is a bit fast for that application. Personally I run N310 in my .45 loads and N330 in my 9mm loads.

I've loaded a lot of N310 in 9mm minor with 147 gr bullets. Never tried it with lighter bullets. It burns very cleanly. Very soft recoil. As others have said it is very FAST! IIRC it is one notch faster than Bullseye on the burn rate chart. IMO not something for the inexperienced reloader.

You don't mention what caliber you are loading...assuming 9mm or .38 with the 124 MG and agree that N310 is a bit fast for that application. Personally I run N310 in my .45 loads and N330 in my 9mm loads.

I will be using 9 mm . Yes, I am new to reloading actually just gettting everything together. If I can't get 320 would 330 be acceptable for both 124 and 147. I will be using them for IDPA and USPSA. Any advise would be appreciated. Thank you so much.

I will be using 9 mm . Yes, I am new to reloading actually just gettting everything together. If I can't get 320 would 330 be acceptable for both 124 and 147. I will be using them for IDPA and USPSA. Any advise would be appreciated. Thank you so much.

N330 was developed specifically for 9mm loads and IMHO is better in that application then N320. I load it with a 147gr Bayou Bullet for USPSA and Steel Challange shooting.

If You're new to reloading I'd stay away from such fast powders like 310. 0.1-0.2 grains difference goes a very long way on those powders.

You basicly have no margin for errors with them. Even 320 is on the fast side.

I sometimes use 320 for 9 loads but for my most accurate loads I use 340. I would buy a small can of 330 and start from there.

I am using 320 pushing 147gr Bayou Bullet and couldn't be happier. Soft recall and accurate out of my CZ. Try getting several people together and make an order. That way the hazmat fees would be so bad and you can get a large jug or two of powder. Personally i like a jug or two :D

I use 320 in 9mm, 40S&W, and 45 ACP.

All once fired brass with various primers; Federal SP, SR, SPM, SRM. I get great accuracy out of all my calibers and various guns.

I never found a reason to change powders. If I was shooting bull eyes or Bianchi Cup I might have noticed a slight opening up of the groups but VV320 has been a very accurate powder for me.