Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting Gloves?

I wear a gel pad glove due to wrist injury.Most motorcycle stores carry the fingerless ones for under $20-25. I don't have any issue with grip or if needed readjusting grip.

Unable to link due to new member post count, sorry.

I've only seen them used by a small number of people at local shotgun matches. The ones that drop the gun to load and hold the hot barrel in their week hand to do it. Personally I don't like gloves when shooting.

• 2 weeks later...

Tried some last night just to see what it was like. Did it help, or hurt?

The draw was better, or should I say more consistent. Strong hand and weak hand came together virtually the same every time. That could very well be just because the extra bulk filled the area between the trigger guard and the magwell a bit better.

Did not effect my reloads. No better, no worse.

Strong hand and weak hand shooting were affected. If I were to cut the thumb off the strong hand glove it might make it better, but I had problems with the safety strong hand only. Weak hand I had not cut off the trigger finger so I did not get a good feel for the trigger.

Overall shoot-ability using the gloves was really no better or worse. If I had some sort of an injury that I wanted to protect, or was shooting a late winter/early spring match where it was cold, I would use them again, but only after I cut off the strong hand thumb and the weak hand trigger finger. It was an interesting experiment but I did not see enough of a benefit to make it a standard item for every match.

If you look at the spec. ops. , tac , swat, etc., they usually wear gloves all the time (check out VTAC drills on u-tube) ;if yr life is on the line you might want that edge. Even though we're just playing games, I think in 3gun they can save alot of skin from burns and scrapes while banging into the ground, barricades, reloads, clearing malfunctions (when you need to stick yr fingers in a hot mag well), don't slip when yr sweaty or just smacking something to get it running (physical maintenance!). I just get tight, thin, grippy work/ mechanic gloves from the big box stores; they don't cost much because they don't have "Tactical" stamped on them. If you get something that fits well and use it often you'll forget you even have them on; might save leaving a thumb nail in a shotgun ramp too!.........

A lot of military shooters I know wear Mechanix brand gloves. They are cheap and preserve a lot of sensitivity. You will go through a lot of gloves and paying $50 USD for a new pair every 60-90 days during a deployment adds up. Too many "tactical" gloves are so bulky you would have to take then off to do some serious remedial action on your rifle or shotgun, and think about trying to put well fitted gloves on with sweaty hands!

I don't know that you will see a lot of competitors wearing gloves. No matter how good the glove feels it will reduce your ability to make micro adjustments on your gun/shells/mags. 3 gun might see some guys using gloves eventually, as they are running long guns and shotguns that get very hot quickly. Plus, think of the sponsorship possibilities haha.

Gloves make perfect sense for military and swat personnel. Guys I work with wear gloves to operate all sorts of weapon systems and there is no question they are faster without them but it is also likely they are faster with gloves on than with a gaping laceration or serious burn on the hand. The last thing I want is to burn my hand on a red hot barrel and then search an entire compound. Not to mention coming through a window into a kitchen area, or entering an explosively breached steel gate with bare hands. Cuts and burns like those pose some serious problems which are easy to imagine.

I don't wear gloves when I compete with my work guns. I do train and operate with gloves on.

Hope this wasn't a total waste of time to read.

MTN it was not a waste at all. I think you sum it up pretty well in that there are places for gloves. We perform better without them when things are good, but they have a place when the bigger interest is in protecting your hands at the expense of a slight loss of dexterity.

• 2 weeks later...

I am prepping for the Big Dawg steel match at the end of this month and the shooter I am training with wears a golf glove on the weak had (left for both of us) and I decided to try it. I have to admit when I get sweaty it makes a big difference. While I have not shot an IPSC match since getting the glove I intend to wear it for both steel and IPSC.

I haven't tried one on my strong hand and likely wouldn't use it. I like the feel of the gun.

• 1 month later...

We had one guy (older gentleman)in our club shoots with gloves on for a little while, then quits. Other than that, nobody uses glove(s) while shooting. I guess, it all depends on the individual, and what is feels for him/her. This is a weird example (no offense intended): just like wearing a condom, some people like it some don't :D