Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is the powder check worth it?

Because I am adding a bullet feeder to my 1050 and don't have a spot for the powder checker.

That would do it:)

I rearranged the die sequence and made the last die a Lee bullet seater/crimper combination die. Powder check works fine... just an issue with the cap bolt lock nuts coming loose.

Any one have that issue?

T.

Because I am adding a bullet feeder to my 1050 and don't have a spot for the powder checker.

That would do it:)

I rearranged the die sequence and made the last die a Lee bullet seater/crimper combination die. Powder check works fine... just an issue with the cap bolt lock nuts coming loose.

Any one have that issue?

T.

I have never found the powder checker to be that useful. I use them on my 650 to check the OAL of the cases when I load .38 Supers. Every once in a while, a .38 SC or 9X23 will sneak in without being caught. The same thing happens when using .45 Schofield and .45 LC cowboy loads. By using a flat disk in caliber powder check, I can use the powder check to check the lenght of the case. Really eliminates problems if I don't catch a fubar before an IPSC match (don't even ask how I know).

Edited by Prowler

I thought I didn't need a powder checker, but after having used it for a couple of months I find I can load a little faster than without one. I don't really know why. Perhaps I spend more time thinking about having a smooth, steady stroke now that I don't have to concentrate as much on powder charge. Not that I ignore looking in the case. I'm just not as focused on that one thing.

• 10 years later...

New to the reload scene and looking at the powder checker I see that the old models came with three of the powder check rods and one looks like it would be big enough for 45-70.  At some point I will be loading that cal. and read that it is hard to see into the case for powder check.  Can you order this rod because all of the new kits only seem to have two rods.  Any information appreciated.  Also I guess you would have to buy a checker for each tool head.  That could get expensive.  I doubt I would ever add a bullet feeder so I will always have the extra hole?