Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

new FNH 25 round shotgun

So today I'm down at South Mountain on the usual 27 round (25 bird and 2 slug) desert walk stage.

I see the Saiga with the drum and have seen the x-frame with 25 rounds used to kick some booty.

So when I get home I check out the Saiga/SRM1216/MKA1919/KSG/etc. with variations on box and tube mags.

Then, I think, "why doesn't FN scale up the PS90 style mag to go under the front of a new shotgun"?

The mag would, in effect be a removable forend grip, could feed from the bottom of the receiver, and kick the empties to the side. And, it won't hang out the bottom like a drum/box mags. A 25 round mag (even with the gizmo to turn the rounds 90 degrees) should be no longer than the 10 round extension on my Rem11-87 since the end of the mag would be directly under the closed bolt. I bet they even have the patents on the design. I'm willing to give FNH this idea with my only consideration being a new shotgun when they come out. :^) OK, how about a discount? Only, please don't make the shotgun look like a PS90!

Where am I wrong?

I believe the gentleman who developed the 5.7x28 upper for the AR came up with a 12ga of a design similar to what you described, although I don't think it held 25 rounds. I could be wrong(i often am) but I think he sold the design to Magpul???? at one of the S.H.O.T. Shows a couple of years back. Maybe someday we will see a version offered to the public, doubtful.