Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My Latest Open Gun Build

I just got my open gun back from the hard chromer. It looks pretty good. Hard chroming does a great job of showing all the "mistakes"....like areas where I got a little too deep with the file or areas where I didn't get all the machine marks out. Most people probably wouldn't notice these things but I do.

I may still drill a couple decorative holes in the trigger...but for the most part, it's done.

If you want to see pictures of the build process, you can check out this album:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.350356271641879.99700.333470123330494&type=3&l=b2fce407f5

Darren

581267_440342465976592_333470123330494_1680094_1131480734_n.jpg

I LIKE IT......... very nicely done. I real like the pictures to see step by step, how the gun was build. GOOD JOB :cheers:

Thanks! The more I look at it, the more I wish I would have cut some matching horizontal lines on the slide (as I did on the frame). Oh well...

As you see, I wanted a little more weight up front. I love the feel.

Darren

Who did the hard chrome and are you happy with the end result, other than the blems you mentioned.

http://www.mahovskysmetalife.com/ did the hard chroming. They have hard chromed several of my guns and I've been happy with all of them. The "blems" (some file and machine marks not completely removed) are my fault..I did the gunsmithing.

D

That is awesome and I love the step-by-step photos also!

Do you work on guns for people or just yourself?

Thanks! I only work on stuff for me, family, and friends.

Would you like another friend?? wink.gif

Or if you have a single sister, I could be family. roflol.gif

Seriously, great job brother!

Would you like another friend?? wink.gif

Or if you have a single sister, I could be family. roflol.gif

Seriously, great job brother!

LOL. Thanks! If you're interested, last winter I built an IDPA ESP/USPSA Limited gun, two winters ago I built my now backup Open gun. I've also done some Browning Buckmark conversions, custom basepads, etc....you could see pictures here: https://www.facebook.com/media/albums/?id=333470123330494

Take care,

Darren

how does it compare to a classic cut slide and frame ???

It obviously is a little heavier in the nose...which is exactly what I was going for. Shoots real flat.

All the BS you read about heavier guns indexing slower, etc....I don't notice any of that.

It obviously is a little heavier in the nose...which is exactly what I was going for. Shoots real flat.

All the BS you read about heavier guns indexing slower, etc....I don't notice any of that.

I was thinking of converting my currrent STI Edge into an open gun since I have a 6" Limited on the way ... Thanks for the info ... Whats your total weight if you dont mind me asking

I was thinking of converting my currrent STI Edge into an open gun since I have a 6" Limited on the way ... Thanks for the info ... Whats your total weight if you dont mind me asking

[it's] a hair under 50 ounces. I'm using an aluminum C-More which I'm sure is a tad heavier than the plastic scopes. My comp also has a little more meat in it than most...and it also has some special, super secret design features. Just kidding....however, it does have a few features that most comps don't have.

[edited for typo]

Edited by ExtremeShot

Nice pistol. I have a 53oz caspian open gun that I love. Couple people asked why i got such a heavy gun? Saying it will slow down my transistions. Wrong! If a 12oz weight difference is slowing you down maybe you should start working out. I can't tell the difference in transistions between my 40oz limited gun and my 53oz open gun. :ph34r:

Edited by Roy Hess

I was thinking of going down this road ... more along the lines of something like this:

That's a 6 inch frame and slide, eh? If I were you, I would go with the 6 inch frame, but I would definitely go with the lighter 5 inch slide on top of it. Yes, the frame will extend beneath the comp...but you could have a custom square bottom comp made that would mate up great with the top of the frame. The Greenfield's both shoot guns like I describe....here's some pictures of their guns:

Sherwyn and Nick Greenfield's Open guns:

P1010013.jpg

DroidX1159.jpg

actually its a 5" long dust cover ... I have a 6" Limited pistol that I'm finally building and I was going to turn my STI Edge into an open pistol

Ah ok.....similar to mine.

yes just like yours ...

you've given me inspiration !!! I'll convert my STI Edge to open... when I'm done building my 6" limited pistol...

Keep us updated on her performance... Good work brotha

They need a "Like" button here....thanks! Will do....you can stay in touch with me on my facebook page....www.facebook.com/DarrenMulford

Let me know if you have any questions or need some help!!

D

Edited by ExtremeShot