Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

simulating 350+ yds

I don't have any ranges near me that are further then 200 yds.

is there a way to simulate shooting 350 to 400 yds?

if so how accurate is it to real distance?

Thanks

Steve

Thanks

Steve

Get some 1/2 size targets from Charlie Myers. They will help. Only longer distances will get you used to the drop and wind.

This doesn't have anything to do with the announcement Dean made about the 350-400 yard targets at Peacemaker, does it? hahaha seriously, Teach me how to shoot that far.

You caught me..lol

That and FNH

Thanks

Steve

I mostly practice at my local 25 yard indoor range, however the local 3-Gun competition has targets out to 450 yards. So for long distance practice, I use the Target Express program to print out reduced scale targets: http://www.mcw-tech.com/targetexpress/

Then I scale the target for distance and draw an outline above or below the target to simulate the hold over and point of impact.

For example, with an 18” BBL, scope height = 2.6”, 55 gr bullet with muzzle vel = 3285 fps, and 50 yd zero, theoretical bullet drop at 300 yards is -3.07” which is equivalent to -0.3 mills. Meaning you have to hold over +0.3mills in order to hit the center of the target.

At 25 yards, bullet drop is -1.19” or -1.3 mills. Therefore if you use the 300 yard hold over at 25 yards the bullet should impact at 0.9” below the center of the target: (-1.3 mills + 0.3mills = -1.0 mills). At 25 yards, -1.0 mills = -0.9”.

So I would scale my 300 yard target for 25 yards put a light target outline 0.9” below the actual target. Depending on how big the actual target is, the target and the offset outline could intersect. If I hit the offset outline at 25 yards then I know I had the correct hold over for a simulated 300 yard target.

The accuracy of this practice will totally depend on how well your bullet matches your ballistic program’s theoretical trajectory. My actual and theoretical trajectories were close, so my 25 yard practice helped out tremendously on getting the long-range hits.

The biggest problem is that you have to spend enough time shooting at distance to know how your gun and ammunition is going to perform. No amount of time spent at shorter distance or with ballistic calculators can make up for that.

All that said, reduced sized targets or just plain shooting at your lowest power can help you get used to the sight picture and learn to control the gun to get/keep it on target.

Once you know what your hold overs are, then you can dial a correction into the scope so that hold over puts you on target at a shorter range. That helps you get used to using that hold.

Edited by Graham Smith

Gdboyteller thanks for that info.

Mike, whenever you want to go, call me. And let's not forget about your debacle on the pistol

Debacle is a rather kind word to describe my pistol shooting on that stage. However, I've determined that the power factor on my loads was too high resulting in too much displaced air in front of my bullet that created a high pressure wave between the bullet & the steel plate causing the bullet to divert around the plate. :D

Jerry Miculek says that all targets are the same - some are just bigger or smaller.

I agree - the best way to shoot long range is to know where your rifle impacts at various distances and how wind effects your round. No need to practice on special targets - just shoot at small ones.

Instead of trying to simulate your holds at 25, just shoot a small target - note where your group is offset - and ensure that following groups are in the same spot.

• 3 weeks later...

Gdboyteller thanks for that info.

Mike, whenever you want to go, call me. And let's not forget about your debacle on the pistol

Debacle is a rather kind word to describe my pistol shooting on that stage. However, I've determined that the power factor on my loads was too high resulting in too much displaced air in front of my bullet that created a high pressure wave between the bullet & the steel plate causing the bullet to divert around the plate. :D

Lmao off....that was my next thought, on what could have happened.

Right now, I practice with clay birds laying on a hill at about 200yds

I have been loving the MGM 1/2 IPSIC targets. Set it at 50 yards and it is a great slug target. Set it at 200 and it is a great rifle target. At 25 shoot it with your pistol. If you are busting clays at 200, then you will have no problems with flashers at 400.

:cheers:

You could always turn your scope around. :D

(I had a customer show up and shoot that way one day. His shots were hitting about half way to the targets, that was the tip off something was wrong. He'd just bought the gun and it was his first time ever shooting. All these years later I still can't figure out what was going through his mind through a box and a half of ammo. "Why would anyone use a scope? It makes the target look so far away!") :o