Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New loader and first loads success!

splitime

Wanted to thank everyone who documents their loads and information regarding reloading (especially Dillon 650 reloading). Thanks to you all, I finally made use of my 2nd hand 650 and made my first 50 test loads.

Loading for M&P Pro 5" and Spartan STI (both 9mm).

Loads tested showed no flattening of primers or issues at case lip. (more things I learned to look for due to reading here).

Load:

147grn Berry's RN

4.0 grn of WSF

1.17 OAL (fit M&P, to long for Spartan magazine)

2nd Load:

147grn Berry's RN

4.0 grn of WSF

1.15 OAL (fit M&P and Spartan, ran like a top, suspect bullet hitting rifling in Spartan though)

Off to make some more.

I also want to test the 124grn HPRN from Berrys, he ones with the concave bottom of the bullet.

Anything in the load I should change for them besides a bit more powder? Going to look around for some base loads to start with.

Edited by splitime

Wanted to thank everyone who documents their loads and information regarding reloading (especially Dillon 650 reloading). Thanks to you all, I finally made use of my 2nd hand 650 and made my first 50 test loads.

Loading for M&P Pro 5" and Spartan STI (both 9mm).

Loads tested showed no flattening of primers or issues at case lip. (more things I learned to look for due to reading here).

Load:

147grn Berry's RN

4.0 grn of WSF

1.17 OAL (fit M&P, to long for Spartan magazine)

2nd Load:

147grn Berry's RN

4.0 grn of WSF

1.15 OAL (fit M&P and Spartan, ran like a top, suspect bullet hitting rifling in Spartan though)

Off to make some more.

I also want to test the 124grn HPRN from Berrys, he ones with the concave bottom of the bullet.

Anything in the load I should change for them besides a bit more powder? Going to look around for some base loads to start with.

Well said. :D

Split, what velocity did you get?

How accurate were the loads?

Did reloads feel softer than factory?

No chrono yet. As they were my first reloads, I really just paid attention to function in the two guns I'll be using them in.

I'm taking some factory loads with me next trip, along with some more variants to try.

I probably need a rest to test accuracy... its something that i consider myself the weakest link... hard to say fairly yet.

Edited by splitime

Split, you really should consider a chrono

a necessity to load development - you really

need to know how fast the bullets are going.

You can get a Chrony for c. $70 ...

You can compare accuracy and recoil "feel"

to any factory ammo you have - see which is

"better" to you.

:cheers:

Sounds like you are having fun. ;)

For the Berry's 124gn FPHB you can bump it up to 4.5gns and increase from there if need be. I had trouble with these out of a Storm Lake barrel but you might be ok with factory barrel.

Everyone says get a chronograph and that is all well and good if you have a place to use it. If you have private land or belong to a club you are good to go. But if you only shoot matches and public indoor ranges you are SOL.

Split, you really should consider a chrono

a necessity to load development - you really

need to know how fast the bullets are going.

You can get a Chrony for c. $70 ...

You can compare accuracy and recoil "feel"

to any factory ammo you have - see which is

"better" to you.

:cheers:

Will definitely be comparing factory ammo to mine.

Regarding the Chrono... I would get one but I don't have a place to use it. :(

I did crank out another 100 rounds for further comparison/function tests last night. Amazing how little time it takes, even with all the double/triple checking I'm doing (including case gauging every round atm).

I am finding my most common error is not doing a full forward press on the handle and getting the primer fully seated. I have over a half dozen partially primed rounds mocking me next to the bench. The ones I caught pre-bullet seating I just re-seated later... but those others I'll have to go back to and bullet pull/re-seat another time.

Edited by splitime

I had great luck running 147 gr Berry bullets over 4.1 gr's of Winchester WSF... they were easy to shoot and did a great job on steel.

I've since switched to 124 gr Berry FP bullets only because my M&P Pro really seems to prefer 124 gr bullets.

I look forward to seeing your follow up once you have a chance to chrono your loads.

I had great luck running 147 gr Berry bullets over 4.1 gr's of Winchester WSF... they were easy to shoot and did a great job on steel.

I've since switched to 124 gr Berry FP bullets only because my M&P Pro really seems to prefer 124 gr bullets.

I look forward to seeing your follow up once you have a chance to chrono your loads.

As soon as I find someone who can help me chrono or a place to do it ( so I can buy my own), I'll post that data. Until then I'm just going to try to keep making/shooting and saving money the entire time.

I figured out my breakpoint for my entire loading setup is a hair over 6k rounds, supplies enroute to take that hurdle on (not including actual ammo supplies).

Edited by splitime