Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Neck Size or FL Size, That is the Question

andrewst359

i reload for 308WIN. i use the redding deluxe die set with the competition shellholders. i measure the shoulder of the brass using a rcbs case mic. the brass is trimmed to 2.005" and the once/twice fired brass measures 1.631-1.632" at the shoulder. i use 42gr of varget powder. so to maximize case life...... should i neck size till the cases dont chamber, then FL size to bump the shoulder back 0.001-0.002"? will i honestly gain anything doing this? im planning on buying a 650xl and would enjoy reloading 308 on the new press and keep the single stage for back up. i only reload 40-50 rounds of rifle when i go target shooting. ive thought of buying the 550B because i dont shoot alot as of now but like the full auto index of the 650.

I see you already posted in this relevant thread. http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=152350&pid=1707597&st=0entry1707597

FWIW, I full length size and trim the first time because I get brass that was not shot in my bolt-gun, then neck size after that. I haven't gotten to the point where I've got 4x and need to re-full length size, but that's my plan. I was going to trim with each reload but the guys at Dillon when I talked to them said it's probably not necessary until the next time I FL size.

~Mitch

Edited by UW Mitch

For 308 right now I've been single staging - but that's taking forever. So I think I'm going to neck size and prime on the 650, then powder and seat on the single stage, since I have an electronic powder measure to measure each charge.

Yes, when I get to doing FL size again, I'll switch the die out. I'm not a high volume shooter with my bolt gun, so it'll be a while before my 500 pieces of brass get to 4x shot.

~Mitch

Edited by UW Mitch

I will go along with Homie on this one. Both myself and a friend have 300 WBY's and if it just shot out of my gun I can just neck size but if it is shot out of my friends gun I have to FL size due to differences in the chamber dimensions between the two guns.

Brian

So once my brass is fired formed, I don't need to FL size? Doesn't your brass ever stretch too much so it won't chamber? Im a newb to reloading rifle and so far all that's changed has been my case length and the shoulder hasn't moved much.

Neck size and just watch the length after you size, they usually don't go past max length till after 4-5 firing then you may need to bump shoulder if they don't extract smooth or get too long and have to trim.

Edited by HoMiE

• 4 weeks later...

I FL every time, and shoot little bitty groups at distance, the key is not to set up the FL die per the instructions that comes with it, get a Hornady Headspace Gauge, decap your fired brass and measure with the HSG, use the readings to adjust your FL die so the shoulder is bumped .001-.0015, now you will have uniform brass that will chamber every single time.

• 9 months later...

I neck size with the redding com dies, and only size about half the neck, if I feel any chambering

Resistance I use the redding body sizer die.

I use lapua brass, I have never lost a case to cracks,The tighter the brass fits your chamber

The longer it last. And has tighter groups. It just

what's work's for me. And I have used the Dillion and hornady ap with this methods.