Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

WST with 9mm FMJs

Nimitz

Now that I'll be using 124g 9mm lead bullets for training I'll have a lot of WST around. I'd still like to use FMJs for match ammo so I was wondering if anyone out there is using WST with FMJs and are there any issues or do I need to switch to something else like Titegroup? Thx

Edited by Nimitz

I normally load 147 gr. Precision Deltas with 3.9 gr. of WST.

I’ve tried 124 gr. Montana Gold with 5.0 but found it to…snappy and not as accurate as my 147 gr. load.

Jeff

thx, I've been debating the whole 124 vs 147 thing and probably should try some 147 now that I'll be doing my own reloading. Have eitehr of you looked at Missouri bullets or Bayou bullets for lead? I know there is currently a large backlog of 3-8 weeks to get bullets from Bayou & about 3 weeks for Precision & Missouri but a lot of people seem to like Bayou a lot. I actually have a small amount of Precision, Missouri & Bayou bullets coming to try & see which I perfer before I start to order large quantities ...

WST will work just fine. It will take 4.6-4.7 gr to get a solid 130+pf w/124-125gr. Remember that it weakens as it gets hot so don't put ammo out in the sun before the crono stage. The ES and SD are a bit high but it works just fine.

To get closer to an all round bullet try some BayouBullets, all the advantages of lead with all the features of a jacketed bullet. No caca on your hands or the barrel and they fly fast on less powder. Dead nuts accurate.

Edited by CocoBolo

One other question, I ended up buying a box of federal 200 primers cause they were out of the 100s. I need to stick with federal cause of my lightened striker on my G34. Am I ok with these for lead 124g 9mm at minor PF or did I just waste 30 bucks?

I've got a sample of 124 sand 147 coming from sns so hopefully I'll have some to try next week. A lot of folks seem to like Bayou but I don't like the thought of having to wait 5 or more weeks. Maybe if they can get their production ramped up I could try them but these rds are for training so availability is important. Probably will stay with FMJs for match ammo...

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I like WST. Burns cleaner than 231. Just a little more narrow range than some powders. Right now I have loaded a a lot of practice rounds using 4.6 grains of WST and 124 PD FMJ. Load is soft and accurate in my Glock 17,19 and 34.