Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1050 troubble with thunking

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any word from Mythos on the specs he used? I would like to get some machined ... I guess since a guy I shoot with is the operations manager for a local machine shop, I could always take them out and have him make new ones, slightly tighter ... but how much tighter??

my clunk was in the swedging support station top die to low for 9mm shell i am useing also adjusted bottom swedger comming up to much

also found my decapping and sizing die was touching shell plate,gave it a hair of clearencewhile a shell was in swedging station,if the sweadger comes up to high in the primer pocket it pushes the shell plate up,causing decapping die to touch the shell plate.in MHO.......

• 2 weeks later...

Has anybody removed the left side parts and taken measurements? I had mine out last night for a cleaning and lubing and found that the bearing OD to press bore had .001" to .003" difference so that isn't too bad. The cover / sleeve part that the screw holds in is .999" OD and the bearing spec is 1.000". Again, pretty good BUT there's about .010" to .015" slop between the shaft and the ID of that sleeve! The right side appears to be as bad or even worse.

Dillon, if you're reading this can you please post what the parts (cover/sleeve, shaft) should be?

I'm willing to spend a few bucks on bearings but the amount of slop between the shaft and sleeve I don't think it would help. I think one of my other parts, most likely the shaft, slipped past QC isn't any good.

Has anybody removed the left side parts and taken measurements? I had mine out last night for a cleaning and lubing and found that the bearing OD to press bore had .001" to .003" difference so that isn't too bad. The cover / sleeve part that the screw holds in is .999" OD and the bearing spec is 1.000". Again, pretty good BUT there's about .010" to .015" slop between the shaft and the ID of that sleeve! The right side appears to be as bad or even worse.

Dillon, if you're reading this can you please post what the parts (cover/sleeve, shaft) should be?

I'm willing to spend a few bucks on bearings but the amount of slop between the shaft and sleeve I don't think it would help. I think one of my other parts, most likely the shaft, slipped past QC isn't any good.

Mine is similar, although I haven't taken measurements. I will next time I take it all apart. On mine, I can actually push the left side in and the entire assembly will push about .045" ... when I talked to Dillon, they suggested trying a spacer on the shaft (11061), so I got a 1" spacer from a buddy's motorcycle shop and put it in as a shim. It seemed to help for a while, but it has been getting looser lately (about 5k rounds since then). It is also making an unusual 1/2 moon shape wear mark from the left-right movement on part of the stroke on the right end of the shaft. No time now to take it apart and post pics, but will do so when I can.

Also, has anyone with this similar problem noticed the left cap and screw rotating as you pull the handle? Not sure if it is normal or not ...

post-22999-134089950707_thumb.jpg

This pic shows where my thunking came from. The small screw on the plastic end cap pulls the dog into the notch to close the gap. But when pulled up tight my dog did not wedge tight in the notch. So when lifting the handle up the size die would clear the mouth then the spring would take up the slack making the tool head jump up, kicking the shell plate rotate bar, jerking the shell plate, and spilling powder.

When the small screw on plastic end cover became loose the slack got worse, thunking more.

post-22999-134089954365_thumb.jpg

My fix was to put small strip of coke can where the yellow paper is to take up the slake of the dog not being wide enough.

And a small strip of coke can in the key way on the shaft also.

post-22999-134090079873_thumb.jpg

post-22999-134090042003_thumb.jpg

You can see where the black is worn off the shaft from the extra movement of the slightly large keyway and the small dog on the end.

post-22999-134090109159_thumb.jpg

Matt Hooper

Ok, thanks Matt. On the cap end on mine the inner hole in the cap is about .015" bigger than the shaft. That's where the vast amount of slack in mine on that side seems to be.

The handle side has a lot of movement / slop in it also but I haven't taken the shaft out to measure that side, mainly because I don't know how and can't be without my press in the middle of the match season. :(

well, w/less that 1000rds on it my 1050 started a-thunkin too. i felt it in the handle on the up stroke and heard it. by process of elimination (much like what happens in the morning after my bran muffin and coffee), i determined it was coming from the case feeder slide. the shellplate was empty. w/only one case in the tube being fed into the shellplate there was no problem. but w/ a case (45acp)in the tube and one being fed, it started up again. so i remembered this topic and read about the end cap being loose etc so i tightened it up and damn! no more a-thunkin. keep the fixes a comin! :cheers:

Yes it helped.

post-22999-13409256211_thumb.jpg

Sorry it's metal not plastic.

Matt Hooper

Thanks Matt, did the same trick with filling up the dog space with a piece of coke can, coke zero actually :lol:

It helped indeed but it didn't take away all the thunking. I guess the thunking is now 50% less and I presume the rest is

due to the play in the bearings.

thanks Matt for the tip.

Peter

I had the same weirdness in my RL 1050 a while back. I pulled the main bearing out clenaned it and packe it with dillon grease now all the thinking is gone.

Might be overkill to pack the bearing with grease everytime this happens but I am willing to live with it for a while longer. At least until I buy another press. Once I have another 1050 up and running I will send this old RL in for a rebuild.

Retread.

I had the same weirdness in my RL 1050 a while back. I pulled the main bearing out clenaned it and packe it with dillon grease now all the thinking is gone.

Might be overkill to pack the bearing with grease everytime this happens but I am willing to live with it for a while longer. At least until I buy another press. Once I have another 1050 up and running I will send this old RL in for a rebuild.

Retread.

My only issuses have been with a dirty primer feed slide and having the shell plate too tight. I use Tetra Gun grease under the shell plate and under the retainer nut. It really smoothed it out.

I have been lubing the shell plate in that manner for a while. Either Slipp2000 or Remington grease.

I too have had issues with the priming assembly but were solved with a strong bench and a acetone cleaning of the slide and primer components.

myself, and i think some others, would like to see dillon and or enos chiming in on this bearing issue. if it means taking the machine apart and installing an oversize (correct size actually) bearing then so be it but we need the size or part # etc of the correct bearing. if its NOT a bearing problem, then whatever it is has a common theme and needs to be fixed. but the silence from said partys is deafening. damn, i shoulda been a drama writer.