Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

A TiteGroup Opinion

Rising Sight

One other thing...Titegroup is really dense. I would imagine this would lead to a larger variance in charge weights coming out of your powder measure (as the measure dispenses by volume). This presumeably would lead to relatively large standard deviations in velocity when you chrono your loads.

All speculation, of course...I'll have to go look at the small amount of chrony data I have for TG, to see if velocity variance was large...though it must not have been terribly high, since I don't remember it.

Anyone notice anything in that regard?

DogmaDog

It is a dense powder; when I load 4.6 grs (my more or less standard load w/230 fmj Zero bullets) there's lots of room left over, which means a double charge won't come close to overflowing the case. So I have to glance at each case before I put a bullet in it to make sure all is well. Not a bad idea as a rule, anyway.

But I've noticed no variation in the powder drop from my 550 b; it measures quite consistently. overall it's hard to imagine a more satisfactory powder for 45 acp, though my experience with other powders is limited.

Sorry- Is titegroup significantly more dirty than N320 (soot)? Ogiebb, thanks man, I'm glad that it shoots basically the same. ;) But, damn it, I'm lazy & I don't want to have to clean more than I allready do.

Titegroup is not dirty in 9mm and .40. I use it for major and minor in my Glock 35. 4.3 grs. makes major with a 180 gr plated bullet. I use 3.4 grs for a 140 pf IDPA load. OAL is 1.125"

I also use TG in 9mm and .45. I just chrono'ed some .45 loads (4.2 under 230) and my SD was about 15, with the max spread about 70fps. That seemed quite a bit to me. I actually like the load and it makes 173 on the average with 168 on the lowest shot, but I guess the Dillon messure has some issues with a a charge that small?

Vlad

My guess is that you will not feel any noticable differences in recoil w/ 70+/- fps spread....keep your avg PF at 172 and you'll be fine. Otherwise you'll loose valuable time that could be spent shooting if you let yourself get wrapped around the axle and worry about something like that!

I'm not really worried. There are two factors which I have yet to look into. The first is that 4.2 grains in a .45 is a low pressure load and it might not be consistent at that pressure, when compared with 9mm or .40. The other more likely possibility is that my testing was inconsistent. I kept on stoping to note chrono readings on a pad and changing my position, though trying to reproduce it the same relation to the chrono but I'm sure that could make a differece. Next time, I'll just sit still and just read the chrono and see if I am getting more consistent results.

I like the load anyway so even if the spread is that large I can live with it.

Vlad