Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

USPSA awards issues

pbosik

Hi Guys, I kinda want to handle this gently and see if any of you have placed high enough to receive a plaque/trophy/ck, only to never get it as promised? I shot a uspsa state match last year, left right afterwards, then found out I placed 2nd in SS C class. There was 9 others shooting in SS/C so 2nd should have received a plaque. I contacted the match director, after waiting aprox 2 months only to get the sorry I have been busy response. So,now it is 8+ months past and no plaque and no response to pm's.No I have not emailed him again, but I have been in touch with another shooter who says he has emailed him only to not get a response either. These folks work their butts off to put on a great match along with all the other people who assist, only to drop the ball at the end. I know it's only a plaque, but the lax attitute I perceive is what sucks. Have any other people experienced this also?

Edited by pbosik

I would be ticked if I shot well enough to get a plaque/ trophy and then they messed around and never got it to me, or responded to my pm's or e mails. I don't get paided to shoot in fact i send a lot to shoot. I think that is about as slack as you can be. Its about $100 plus to shoot with over a hundred shooters, what they can't afford it. Or don't care about the D, C, and B class shooters? Just my opinion.

Edited by a matt

I worked a major match several years ago. There were 2 MDs. They promised a good compensation package including $125 cash. Match ended and I was the only one not paid. I contacted the MDs a few times but nothing came of it. About 8 months later another worker who was a mutual friend of mine and the MDs reminded the MDs I hadn't been paid. A few weeks later a check arrived. I finally got paid, but will not work any match either MD is involved in. Why? Because I don't like they way they do business and if someone asks me to work a match those guys are involved in, I politely decline. If asked why, I tell them the story. If not asked why, I don't say another word.

Moral of the story, you can either be aggravated about it or let it go. Next time someone asks you about shooting a match the MD runs, decline because of the bad taste the last experience left in your mouth. It isn't the match, it is the people running it.

Level 2 or Level 3 match?

Level 2 take 5 in division to recognize

Level 3 take 10

Level 2 take 5 in a class to recognize

Level 3 take 10

with only 9, 2nd place in class might not get recognized if they follow every 5 places recognized ( 5-1, 10-2,15-3)

The same thing happened to me last year I even emailed the match director to ask if I had won a plaque and below was his response. After quite some time and several emails, still no plaque. This Stinks!! I won 5th B in Open and I think there were 15 B class shooters if I remember correctly.

Sent: Wed, Sep 28, 2011 9:49 am

Subject: Re: Question

(MD), I hate to keep bothering you but it looks like I may have won a Plaque!!!

One of my first one ever!! Will they be mailed out to the winners?

First reply; That is correct

>

> (MD)

Second reply; Yes, when I can find some time to do so

(MD)

On the flip side, MD'ing a major match can be very draining physically and mentally. It's like planning a wedding, a reception, a honeymoon, a house construction, and a house move all rolled into a 6-9 month windows -- 12 months if you are lucky. I've seen MD's who have finished a major match take a week off just to decompress. I was surprised that Ken N was only taking one day off after Area 1 and then jumping right back into the grind of things.

I've been on the receiving end of not receiving stuff promised after a match. It can get aggravating, but only if you let it get to you. The first time it happened to me, I promised myself that I would never work with those people again. When I realized that it was consuming my life and not letting me enjoy the sport, I forgot about it. I ended up breaking that promise to myself, and it's turned out good, but only because I make sure to be more assertive about asking for what I was expecting.

The same thing happened to me last year I even emailed the match director to ask if I had won a plaque and below was his response. After quite some time and several emails, still no plaque. This Stinks!! I won 5th B in Open and I think there were 15 B class shooters if I remember correctly.

Sent: Wed, Sep 28, 2011 9:49 am

Subject: Re: Question

(MD), I hate to keep bothering you but it looks like I may have won a Plaque!!!

One of my first one ever!! Will they be mailed out to the winners?

First reply; That is correct

>

> (MD)

Second reply; Yes, when I can find some time to do so

(MD)

15 shooters, should have only placed to 3rd not 5th.

Its not the plaque that is the issue, although in both the cases above the person acknowledged it was due. It is the not giving a crap about it. But I bet if I offered $75 instead of the $100 entry there would be a response from him. I will contact the a.d. about it. I really wanted to see how often it happens to others.