Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Time Wasters!

My only obstacle to dominating the world of competitve pistol shooting is the amount of time required.

Okay, possibly it's also my lack of talent but I'm buying a new gun so that will help, right? ;)

I'm a workin stiff and don't have that much time to dry-fire or get out to the range. Efficiently using my time to improve is what I'm trying to do. Keeping up with people with hundreds of round of weekly live-fire while I've only shot 50 training rounds over the last two weeks is what I'm attempting. What seems to be helping is dry-fire, consistently paying attention to all the basics, refining and repeating. I find it nice to engage my mind in trying to be more efficient. Ultimately it's the time between the shots that separates the mid-levels and masters.

I think "improved times" can be deceptive because improving splits can show great time improvement but if it adds time to transitions or kills accuracy it's a false gain.

Sometimes doing something slow will make you faster. Reloads and looking for excess movement while doing it slow will increase speed.

It seems that time is better used when there is a plan, focus and effective training. I am focusing on presentations and 3-2-1 drills which I know are helping me. I also work through the refinement and repetition book. At the range it's presentations and 3-2-1 drills and a CoF stage from last week's match.

When practicing what is your indication of actually improving or wasting time, both dry-fire and range?

What time waster drills or techniques are there that are attractive yet I should avoid?

How do you tell or find out that you were spending time on false gains or bad habits?

Thanks,

DNH

Edited by daves_not_here

The number one "Time Waster" is when people try to figure it out on their own. The fastest path to getting better with the least wasted time is to get regular one on one training with a top GM. A constant one on one training/coaching scenario will keep you focused on fixing your current worst skills. This type of training will not be cheap or easy. But it will eliminate the vast majority of wasted time and ammo trying to figure things out on your own.

Keeping a log of past practice sessions and match's is really the only way to track your progress. Try setting up easily repeatable target arays and then log every split time on your timer for every run you do. Depending on what you're working on the timer gives the split for that section (transitions, movement between positions, etc.). Then start working on reducing those specific times. Being able to go back and reset those courses and track your progress from previous practices has been the biggest help to me. I always try to make my best previous practice session times my first cold run times on different dates by focusing on what I learned from the past session. When you do have the opprotunity to practic make each repitition and shot count and focus on quality not quantity for the time you have.

I dont think there's ever any BAD kind of practice. You need to practice everything, just not all at once. Soem days you can practice accuracy, and others you can practice shooting on the move, etc.

There is NO substitute for hours logged on the range shooting live fire. None. There are some shortcuts, but there is nothing better than pulling the trigger, seeing the resulting hits, and recording what you learned that day.

WOW! I really like what RockyMtnShooter is saying there. In fact .... :rolleyes:

... Why not find a really simple classifier with only 3-4 targets (SEE BELOW) so it's easy to setup on the fly & doesn't take too much time, cause that's what we're striving for here anyways ... one that has all the basic skills ... ie. draw, reload, maybe some SHO / WHO, and run it a few times each week when you go to the range, recording not only your points & time, but also your draw time, reloads, split times & transition times. Also keep track of what hits you actually score on each target (5A/1C, 2A/4C, or all 6A, etc.) This will quickly show you what your deficiencies are.

Then you can set it up week after week, and see your progress. Pay close attention to WHAT you're progressing in. Maybe your splits are getting faster, but your accuracy is going away with it. Maybe your draw keeps getting faster/better every week. Maybe your reloads improve. Just make sure to note that as an achievement / improvement. Maybe you just saw the front sight alot more than usual. Or you vision sped up on trans. Anything that helps you learn more about YOU and what you're capable of. I like Mike Seeklanders "Live Fire Training Log" that at the bottom says "What I did really well" & also "What I learned or what I need to learn".

The human brain actually learns quicker & retains more information when we ourselves write the information down on paper. You actually think about and process the information while you are writing it down, so you remember more of it and for longer periods of time. I can tell you my draw time on a 10 yard partial target because I've done it so many times, but also because I wrote it down. That's the key! ;)

CM 99-11 El Presidente is a good all around practice of draws & reloads. (run it hands up, down, facing up & downrange)

CM 06-03 Can You Count is good to test how fast you can shoot up close. (run it normal, or shoot all 4 targets in 1 string, reloading between targets for BIG SMILES!)

CM 03-18 High Standards, CM 09-01 Six In Six Challenge, CM 08-01 4 Bill Drill, CM 03-14 Baseball Standards (fixed time), CM 09-09 Lightning & Thunder, and CM 08-02 Steeler Standards are all good for testing your reloads & SHO/WHO.

CM 09-04 Pucker Factor, CM 09-07 It's Not Brain Surgery, and CM 09-14 Eye Of The Tiger are all good accuracy games.

Don't overwhelm yourself. I just named off a few of each kind of classifier to give you all some rough ideas, and show you just how many classifiers really are easy to setup with only 3-4 targets. Pick one or two to start with, keeping track of each aspect of the stage. Points, time, hits, and draw/splits/reload time. Run 'em hands up, hands down, facing uprange, facing downrange, near to far, far to near ..... just be sure to document each variance, and of course all aspects of your shooting. You'd be amazed what you'll learn. :)

Edited by Chris Keen

I like the "learn from a GM" advice. Listening to a fellow shooter's advice is polite but unless they're classified higher than me I'm going to be a little skeptical.

The SHO/WHO drills are something I definitely have to incorporate into live fire. The recoil changes the timing of transitions dramatically.

Is it me or is "running drills" for practice out of favor right now? It seems like the club matches are the only practice for the people I shoot with. Then again I'm mid-level and this is probably why a lot of people stay mid-level.

Running a drill or scenario cold and recording results are good suggestions. If you're up to your ankles in brass of course you're going to shoot well and forget how you did at the beginning of the session without writing it down. I've heard a lot of people at matches say "I did that great in practice" which probably means they weren't recalling their perforamance cold. At a match you're going to be starting as stage cold so the cold run is the time and performance that is realistic to expect in competition.

The "what did I do really well" is a good question to ask after a practice session. It's too easy to beat onself up about weaknesses and forget the progress. Getting down on myself is the last thing I want to do with my free time.

"What I learned or what I need to learn" is where I'm going to put the weaknesses. Item #1 need to learn golf. :unsure:

Yeah, either you have the time or you have the money. Right now I've got some money and I'm trying to use the time efficiently. Next, I'll dominate the competive shooting world :devil:

Thanks,

DNH

Self-analysis.

When you look at the match results, you see who beat you. Now you gotta figure out why.

It is very seldom the speed of the actual shooting, but rather the efficiency of movement, which breaks down into:

Stage strategy

Shooting early, moving early

Error elimination

Shot calling

Lately, as a result of my own self analysis, I'm into low round count drills that focus on setups. When you really boil it down, IPSC/USPA most often requires us to move somewhere and shoot something. That's easy to practice.

The number one "Time Waster" is when people try to figure it out on their own. The fastest path to getting better with the least wasted time is to get regular one on one training with a top GM. A constant one on one training/coaching scenario will keep you focused on fixing your current worst skills. This type of training will not be cheap or easy. But it will eliminate the vast majority of wasted time and ammo trying to figure things out on your own.

That's exactly what I did when I wanted to do IPSC, and yes it was not cheap. But what I have accomplished in 6mos time took years for some, and for sure what I have spend is nothing compared from what they've spent in all those years. But it's all worth it and I owe it to my GM friend. And it's all about perseverance, willingness to learn and dedication.

Self-analysis.

When you look at the match results, you see who beat you. Now you gotta figure out why.

It is very seldom the speed of the actual shooting, but rather the efficiency of movement, which breaks down into:

Stage strategy

Shooting early, moving early

Error elimination

Shot calling

Lately, as a result of my own self analysis, I'm into low round count drills that focus on setups. When you really boil it down, IPSC/USPA most often requires us to move somewhere and shoot something. That's easy to practice.

Btw, I'm in to you Steve re the importance of practice. I also got that discipline from playing guitar during my HS and college years. I would literally lock myself in my room, practicing all the scales, modes licks etc., and not answering my gf's phone call :) I also seek some prof instructions from some of the best guitarist here for theories and stuffs. I ended up playing as lead guitarist from different rock bands here in the Philippines during the early and mid 90's and they were the best years :)

That's exactly what I did when I wanted to do IPSC, and yes it was not cheap. But what I have accomplished in 6mos time took years for some, and for sure what I have spend is nothing compared from what they've spent in all those years. But it's all worth it and I owe it to my GM friend. And it's all about perseverance, willingness to learn and dedication.

When you look at it, it all boils down to this sentence in this post. How Bad do you want it? If you want it bad enough you will do your homework off the field, and do the work on the field, and you will accomplish your goals.

"How Bad Do You Want it" I wrestle with that one all the time. When I've fired that last shot in practice, and I'm digging around in my range bag and pockets hoping to find one more round. When the ammo is all gone, and it's time to pack it in and head home that question enters my mind..Well, Chris what are you willing to give up in order to spend more time on the range...how bad do you want it? And then, I stop at the store on the way home, grab a bag of chips, a soft drink, a pack of smokes, and get a movie from the Red Box.....it's so sad.

When you look at it, it all boils down to this sentence in this post. How Bad do you want it? If you want it bad enough you will do your homework off the field, and do the work on the field, and you will accomplish your goals.

"How Bad Do You Want It?" Whew, when decided I want to learn and join IPSC, I can only afford 5 sessions of prof instructions from a GM, here in the Phils, per session cost around $35.00-$45.00. I already had the accuracy, safety and everything w/c I learn from a few combat/tactical classes. I did not have any idea on movements, transitions etc. By that time I was also introduced to BE.com (I owe it to you guys :)) and already starting to watch vids at youtube of my fav shooter, especially Dave Sevigny. I remember after each session I had, I would browse here and watch youtube and I would just say, "ahhh, so that's it." Even when I'm so tired after each session, after some rest and meal, I would do the movements I learned that day as much as I can in our living room. I'm lucky enough that my business is home-based, so I have all the time in the world to dry fire and practice everything the whole day. On mornings I would draws, movements, exit/entry, afternoon I'll do BE transition drills, shooting on the move and at night it's all reloads. I could only practice live fire once a week, min of 200rds.

That's the time I decided it's now time for me to join some matches for experience. I did good on my very 1st macth, I ended up 10th place. On my 2nd match, watching vids at youtube paid off, it seems all the stages that day are almost the same as what I've seen on some of Dave Sevigny matches. So I attacked the stage just the way Dave does, and during one of the break, some of my friends noticed that I move like Dave, and I just smiled back. I ended up 3rd place that day, and from that time I know I was in the right path.

There is never a day I would not do anything that can add up to my skills, mindset and ability, even now that I totally stopped from practical shooting coz of some financial issues. Heck, I still have my airsoft pistol here :) I say, "Stay Hungry."