Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slide Not Going Into Battery

Trenavd

On my open gun, STI frame, slide, Nowlin barrel, major 9, with a hard chrome finish, the slide has developed a problem going all the way forward. When I lower the slide slowly by hand on an empty chamber it stops 7/32 short of going into battery(which appears to be about the distance a slide goes reward to unlock), a slight pressure or bringing it forward with only slightly more speed and it snaps into battery.

When running the gun with a recoil master installed I was having the same problem fairly frequently, by switching to a std rod and 11# ISMI spring it runs better but still stoped a couple of time today.

Any ideas?? I have checked for burrs and find none. the locking lugs are square and appears that the gun locks up tight, it is a fairly new gun with about 3 to 4,000 rounds through it.

Check to see if your reverse plug twisted slightly. I have had that keep some guns just a bit out of complete battery.

The other thing would be to inspect your barrel and lug very carefully for any cracks or stretches in the lug(wear).

I take it that the only time it does this is when it's loaded. If so I was having the same problem. The rim may not be going all the way under the extractor. I'll try and find the link from Brazo that tells you how to check the clearance on your extractor.

Also make sure that the extractor tension is not too much. I had a similar problem with my 9mm Open gun, with an Aftec extractor. I had to shorten the front spring by compressing it with pliers for a few seconds (Aftec instructions detail this procedure).

If you are using a standard extractor, you will have to take out some of the "bend" do this carefully, because it's easy to go too far.

Carl

Not a problem. I have found it becoming a common occurence. One of my friends just bought a para race gun and had the same deal. I also had a little bit of a problem with the racegun I just built for myself.