Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Be ready when they call your name.

bierman

Local match today, first stage of the day. I was first up, but had not really done a good walkthrough and developed a stage plan. Fairly simple stage set up, so I thought it was no big deal. Only problem was when I finished I had completely forgotten about a lone target that was visible from two different places, through a port or around the right end of a wall. Did ok on every thing else, but picked up 2 mikes and an FTE for that brain cramp.

In the future, I will make sure I have a clear plan in mind before my name is called. Don't wing it!

I don't shoot well enough to give up stage points on stupid mental errors.

Been there. I got too focused on the order of engaging the turner and swinger and completely forgot about the one standing in the corner against the wall :goof: -30 in penalties :angry:

Live and learn.

Happened to me last match. I really was not into it that day and just to stop the confusion I went first on all stages. Worked as RO, shot first, ended up enforcing a DQ and next stage ran by (I use the term RAN rather loosely) 2 targets.

I have decided next time I shoot that club, I plan to be a shooter to see if I still screw things up :angry2:

If you can't visualize the entire stage you're not ready to shoot.

You gotta make your movie...

SA

That is the truth. I am about 2 years into this and can remember when I was not able to visualize the course and how that felt. Shooting more major matches really changed that- especially if you get onto squads without your normal group. Now it is par for the course to be able to close my eyes and run through the stage before stepping up for my last walk through. Funny thing is that I can pretty much remember the courses from the last few big matches (FL Open, SC sectional and Area 6) due to this. One sticks out as not being able to remember and I still don't know how I shot it without missing any targets, much less no Mikes. It was at the FL Open, 30 or 32 rounds and gun starts on hood of truck. We had 13 in the squad, 3 minute walk through and I missed half getting my glasses to de-fog so I could at least see the fog that was on the stage. I still have no idea how I shot that stage and that was the worst feeling at Make Ready that I have felt.

For a new shooter, being able to consistently visualize the stage has got to rank up there with actually seeing the sights as a milestone in this sport!

• 1 month later...

I had that happen this week. I was too worried about how bad-ass I wanted to shoot the back of the course. I wanted to shave time by shooting the hidden activator, 2 steel, and 4 As before getting an Out-and-back target. Well I did get all that and as I show clear I hear everyone yelling in the back. Turns out I totally forgot about the 2 targets on the far side of the course. So making up like 2 seconds in speed cost me 4 Mikes and 2 FTEs. Those 60 points took me from 3rd overall in limited to the bottom of the pack :surprise:

Still not last on the stage though, so that worries me... :roflol:

I had that happen this week. I was too worried about how bad-ass I wanted to shoot the back of the course. I wanted to shave time by shooting the hidden activator, 2 steel, and 4 As before getting an Out-and-back target. Well I did get all that and as I show clear I hear everyone yelling in the back. Turns out I totally forgot about the 2 targets on the far side of the course. So making up like 2 seconds in speed cost me 4 Mikes and 2 FTEs. Those 60 points took me from 3rd overall in limited to the bottom of the pack :surprise:

Still not last on the stage though, so that worries me... :roflol:

I had a stage last match I shot that I had worked out a plan, but seeing how much faster some of my competitors were moving, I had to adjust. They were moving shooting position to shooting position and doing the stop and go thing. I couldn't do that and be competitive, but what I could do was engage an array of targets in the middle of the bay while on the move laterally. I couldn't run as fast as my competitors, but I could modify my plan just a smidge to shoot those targets on the move when nobody else was doing it that way and take a risk and shave time off my run. I'm confident in my ability to make a shot, I have no confidence in my ability to win a foot race. :lol:

It worked. I didn't set the world on fire with the speed of my movement, but by the time I engaged those targets on the move I had a comfortable 1 step to the next array in which to make a reload then move on.

I like to go to the line knowing exactly how I'm going to shoot a stage, but in that case, it was a small change that probably saved me at least a couple seconds.

I didn't radically alter my plan, but at the same time I saw a slightly riskier but quicker way for me to shoot the stage.