Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

G37 Magazines......again

Navy Shooter

Have the G37 and like everything but the magazines. With 10 rounds in the magazine the slide is very hard to cycle. Doing a reload with retention or tac reload is an exercise in futility. Tried loading the magazines and letting them sit for a month with no effect. Since magazine parts are cheap I decided to try a little cutting. I took one follower and tried cutting or grinding the back down. Cut a little at a time and retried the RWT etc. I now have the back end of the follower ground down to the same level as the rest of the follower.

Will this have any adverse effect on the functioning of the magazine during live fire?

Yes.

The legs of a glock follower stabilize it in the tube since it floats on the spring. Without the legs they can easily get bound or turn over. If you bend your mag spring to that the follower no longer floats that amy save it but its best to get new followers at this point.

Next time try cuttin .5-1.5 coils of the spring.

Matt,

Thanks for the reply. Already put the follower on order. Using your suggestion I took another magazine and started cutting the spring. I would cut a quarter of a coil and try and load 10, do a reload with retention, etc. I now have 1 full coil cut and I detect some improvement but not very much. The slide is still very hard to cycle with a full mag and the 10th round is still a bear (but at least I get it in). Am I doing something wrong? Or do I just have wierd magazines?

Gentlemen, I was doing an Intro to IDPA shooting last SUnday and I had a guy shooting a Glock 19 with brand new magazines having problems sitting the magazine. Just for the heck of it I had him count the rounds in the magazine and it came up to 11. He was looking at the indicator holes back of the magazine to see if he had 10. His buddy grabbed his own magazines and sure enough was able to load 11 in. FYI Hope this helps.

Just got through putting my review of the Glock 37 in the mail to Gun World yesterday. I had the same problems you're describing. Not only were the magazines difficult to seat when fully loaded, but they wouldn't fall free when I punched the mag button. Now, download one round and with only nine rounds in the mag they'd fall out. Eventually I figured out how to solve these problems, and it doesn't require whittling or replacing followers. With the magazine fully loaded, place the Glock loading tool on top of the stack and push downward as hard as you can. This will depress the cartridges in the magazine and give them a much better stack. Not only are the magazines now MUCH easier to seat, but they'll also now drop. Such a deal.

Have the G37 and like everything but the magazines. With 10 rounds in the magazine the slide is very hard to cycle. Doing a reload with retention or tac reload is an exercise in futility. Tried loading the magazines and letting them sit for a month with no effect. Since magazine parts are cheap I decided to try a little cutting. I took one follower and tried cutting or grinding the back down. Cut a little at a time and retried the RWT etc. I now have the back end of the follower ground down to the same level as the rest of the follower.

Will this have any adverse effect on the functioning of the magazine during live fire?

I had the same experiences with 21 mags and people have had problems with 22 mags which suck, because I'll soon have a 35. Glock should have got this problem solved by now if they were really interested in doing so.

DT,

If you have time to send in an edit...feel completely free to quote me...;)

Glock 10 round magazines flat out suck.

They make a gun that will run (in nearly every situation) into a questionable tool for the job.

I'll agree that Glock 10-round magazines for guns originally intended to hold more ammo suck. AAMOF, I have yet to see a reduced capacity 10-round mag for any gun where the people making it didn't take that "not over 10 rounds" thing to an anal retentive extreme and left you NO slack (or, at best, damn close to it) after that 10th cartridge was - laboriously - inserted. OTOH, Glock 37 mags are "10-round magazines" only insofar as that happens to be their real, full capacity. This is not one of those "law enforcement/military get one thing, we get another" situations.

• 9 years later...

I have a G37 and with 10 rounds it's really hard to set the magazine in the gun and it's realllllyyyy hard to charge the pistol. Looking for advice to tune/mod this annoyance out.

Anybody have any updates to this?

Is getting a different magazine spring a solution?

I'm setting it up for Production, so I can't use an extended pad.

Thanks.

I'm setting it up for Production, so I can't use an extended pad.

Thanks.

Are you sure? Check out D4 item 21.7:

Prior restrictions on magazines have been lifted.

OEM and aftermarket magazines and base-pads may be used. However, any and all magazines used in competition, must fit into the USPSA box while empty and inserted in the handgun as described in item 7 of this appendix. Grip tape and/or skate board tape are specifically allowed on magazines and base-pads.

Well, I go up to the line and after the RO gives the command I insert a fully loaded magazine. I rack the slide and load the pistol. I put the Barney mag in a pocket and load a fully loaded magazine into the gun.

That's my standard manual of operations for me. Probably for a lot of people. Probably for the guy who started this thread.

I don't see many people lock their slide back, insert a magazine and then drop the slide. Actually... I don't think I've seen anyone do it that way.

The benefit is that you let the spring and the slide release do all the work. I think I started doing it during the 94 ban when I was using tight fitting 10 round Glock mags in my 34. I guess to each his own as long as you are using the slide release during slide lock reloads. How pulling the slide back to release it became the tactically cool thing to do I will never know.