Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need 40 Power Pistol suggestion

BFC

Hi guys, first post but I have been lurking a long time. Great info here.

I just picked up a Glock 22 and I am sitting on a ton of Power pistol powder and Remington 5 1/2 primers that I use in my 357sig loads.

I have some 155 Berry's and some 155 HP/XTP on hand and from what I found, looks like 7 grains is a good place to start with those.

Any of you guys have pet 40SW loads for power pistol?

Loads will be mostly for practice and I'm attending a tactical pistol course at the end of the month and planning on taking the glock.

Any info much appreciated!!

Alliant shows 9gr max with a 155gr GDHP. Hornady lists 5.8gr to 8.9gr so 7gr would more or less split the difference. I once loaded a bunch of 155gr Rainiers (which are plated like the Berrys) over 6.4gr of PP at 1.125" OAL. They chronoed at 964fps out of a 4" barrel.

Power Pistol is a flamethrower and loud! I used to use it loading hot for a .45 and the fireballs were impressive. Especially shooting on an indoor range. surprise.gif Sucked shooting through barrels as well. I still have about half a pound only because I can't bring myself to throw it out.

6.4gr gave me 950fps out of my G35 with a 180gr Montana Gold. Just not a pleasant load to shoot.

5.6 with a 180 is not bad, won't make major, but pleasant to shoot. 7.6 with the same bullet is, well, VIOLENT. Tried in 38 super one time, 8.0 grains, I think. When I got up off the floor from laughing, I decided never to do that again. Looks like a camera flash going off directly in front of your face, and no amount of ear protection will be enough. Had the range owners turn out the lights (indoor range) and popped a few off......looked like lightning strikes. :roflol:

Hello, everyone! I'm new to the site and just wanted to throw in my Power Pistol Mix to get some opinions.

My recent load which I really think I like! After trying 5.3gr PP with CCI 500 primers on Rainer 180gr FP, I found it to be to "peppy" for a comfortable range load, but was willing to cope with the beating. Unfortunately I, ran out of SPP and could only get Magnum primers knowing the same load would certainly not be fun to shoot hundereds of rounds so I had to start from scratch.

Using 180gr Rainer FP plated, 4.8gr Power Pistol with CCI 550 magnum primers (hence the low powder load) I don't have a chrono, but the load was nice and cycled my Glock 22 with ease. My grouping at 15yrds was really nice and penetration on a tire full of sand was complete, lodging well inside the sandy contents.

I hope to obtain a chrono in the near future so I can see exactly what this load it putting out.

There is no signs of stress on the brass and ejection of the brass if anyone cares was approx. 1 to 2 ft.

Anyone have any suggestions or comments on this load let me know, I hope to run a few hundred rounds with this load in the next few week if everything goes to plan and I'll let everyone know. If anyone else has this mix availible and has a chrono let me know your results! Im always looking to learn as I'm fairly new to reloading.

Hi guys, first post but I have been lurking a long time. Great info here.

I just picked up a Glock 22 and I am sitting on a ton of Power pistol powder and Remington 5 1/2 primers that I use in my 357sig loads.

I have some 155 Berry's and some 155 HP/XTP on hand and from what I found, looks like 7 grains is a good place to start with those.

Any of you guys have pet 40SW loads for power pistol?

Loads will be mostly for practice and I'm attending a tactical pistol course at the end of the month and planning on taking the glock.

Any info much appreciated!!

I have used about 4 lbs of power pistol with 180s it burns hot ! I do not like it with lead bullets I get alot of lead in the barrel ! With MT or Zero works well but when you push it over 6 gr the recoil starts to really kick in ! Last time I shot some I loaded 5.8gr good shooting but not near as good as solo or 320 for me ! I have 4 pounder I would like to get rid of ...:)

IMHO, power pistol is a great beginner reloading powder (hard to blow yourself up, since even compressed loads with powder spilling out of the case are often safe), and is also a great powder to load to simulate self-defense loads, since it generates an impressive recoil to go along with the impressive velocities.

It's not my first choice for competition because you can meet competition requirements with much less recoil, but I load up 50-100 rounds with PP every couple months to go shoot my carry gun.

You can use pretty broad range of loads without getting into pressure problems. I like to keep it simple, so I just shoot the starting load for any particular bullet weight and call it good enough for training, and safe too.

• 2 weeks later...

Hornady book shows PP start at 5.8grs, max 8.9 grs for HP-XTP 155gr - COL 1.125"

Handgun magazine had a article, Glock 22 using 155 gr Hornady HP-XTP with 4.7 grs PP @ 1.125" OAL. I tried these in my G24 with a 14lb spring, cases just rolled out about 12" from the gun.

Edited by cvo