Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lead bullets in .40 Witness Limited

I have had extremely bad results using lead bullets and coated lead bullets. Both of these types leaded my barrel within the first 50 shots and it took hours to get it clean. There are quicker ways to clean than the method I use, but it poses a risk if left too long to damaging the barrel. After a detailed analysis it only costs an extra $22.00 a thousand to use Montana Gold or Zero bullets. In my area MG are less expensive due to shipping charges. Both shoot great (1 inch @ 50 feet)and my cleaning takes less than 5 min. All lead bullet or any of the popular coated bullets (Precision, Bayou Bullets, etc.) severely lead my Limited and Hunter barrels. I tried fast powders, slow powders, single base powders, double base powders from multiple manufactures, same lead streaks. Rainer bullets did not lead my barrel but never found a load that was as accurate as the jacketed and they were almost the same price as MGs.

Others will have different experiences. If you decide to try it shoot 20-25 rounds pull the barrel and clean it. Would not go beyond this due to pressure issues. A badly leaded barrel will raise chamber pressures in a hurry, especially with fast powders. If your barrel shows any leading after 25 rounds you are probably out of luck. But you never know until you try.

Best wishes,

10mmjunkie

Shooters that experience high leading in polygonal barrels are using crappy bullets. I only shoot cast bullets; practice and matches. I have never had a problem. Give these a try:

JD Sales 806 676 0017 shooterready.biz

kalebg,

Beg to differ. I used almost every lead bullet that was recommended to me and they all leaded except Rainers and they were not significantly cheaper and never as accurate in my gun as low cost jacketed bullets. The only ones that I never tried were Berry's Bullets due to the cost was higher than Montana Gold. One of the things I found funny is that when I ordered each of these non-leading lead bullets, each of the salesmen had different poweders they either recommended or advised against. Powder list was the same but which side it was on varied. Bottom line is in my case it did not matter they all leaded the barrel.

I truely wanted to find a lead bullet to work and spent almost as much money on that search (powder and bullet combinations)as I spent on the gun and never found one that worked.

Agree that you will never know until you try. Just be wiser than I was and just get a sample rather than having 4,950 lead bullets that you have to sell to someone shooting a Sig.

Best wishes to all.

10mmjunkie

I can't find the thread right, now but Henning also asked some top people over at the Tanfoglio factory when he toured there. The response he got was no problems shooting lead even in their polygonal barrels. Just the standard warnings about doing proper maintenance.

kalebg,

Beg to differ. I used almost every lead bullet that was recommended to me and they all leaded except Rainers and they were not significantly cheaper and never as accurate in my gun as low cost jacketed bullets. The only ones that I never tried were Berry's Bullets due to the cost was higher than Montana Gold. One of the things I found funny is that when I ordered each of these non-leading lead bullets, each of the salesmen had different poweders they either recommended or advised against. Powder list was the same but which side it was on varied. Bottom line is in my case it did not matter they all leaded the barrel.

I truely wanted to find a lead bullet to work and spent almost as much money on that search (powder and bullet combinations)as I spent on the gun and never found one that worked.

Agree that you will never know until you try. Just be wiser than I was and just get a sample rather than having 4,950 lead bullets that you have to sell to someone shooting a Sig.

Best wishes to all.

10mmjunkie

I use solo 1000, WST, or hp38. My CZ hasn't had a brush through through it in 10,000 rounds. PM me your addy and I will send you some samples.

my match has polygonal rifling....i shot around 100rds of lead hornady 230gr through it today....doesn't appear to have any leading, but hell....i don't know what that even looks like! only lead ammo i've shot, until today, was .22lr

GSRswapandslow,

I shoot 40 and 10mm. Have never tried lead in my 45 Hunter which has a polygonal barrel. The lower pressure of the round might make a difference. Have taken kalebg up on his kind offer. Will publish results. Would love to have a lead load that did not have 3 hours of cleaning after a every 50 rounds down range.

Hornady lead bullets bullets work great in my 1911s, but they are land and grove barrels.

Respectfully,

10mmjunkie