Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm major New or Used?

thebridge

I must ask where are you getting "once" fired brass? How do you know?

Ah Ha !!! Exactly the point. ;)

Unless I shot new cases myself, there's no way to "know" if it's once fired.

But, as many have reported, it really doesn't matter - I shoot the cases until

they split. :cheers:

I think S&B brass is hard to seat the primer. They are tight whic is good but can result in a high primer once in a while.

They also sell steel cases that are a dead ringer for brass cases.

Yep those steel cases are the problem, has nothing to do with the primer seating. The steel cases will stick in the chamber after they are fired. I have had this happen three times and all three times S&B cases (case had to be knocked out with a squib rod). And yes they pass the chamber checking just fine.

Edited by BrianATL

• 4 months later...

I must ask where are you getting "once" fired brass? How do you know?

Ah Ha !!! Exactly the point. ;)

Unless I shot new cases myself, there's no way to "know" if it's once fired.

But, as many have reported, it really doesn't matter - I shoot the cases until

they split. :cheers:

that's very easy, i get my brass from shooters who only shoot factory loaded ammo, because they are to lazy to reload rounds themselves, and at my club, the shooters wich don't have a firearms permit and using the guns from the club, are only allowed to shoot the ammo wich is sold at the club, and the ammo they sell is magtech, and magtech uses it's own primers, wich are marked with a sign wich is still visible after the round is fired, so the only thing i have to do is to look on the bottom of the brass, so once evere month i take the spent brass bucket from the club, sit down with it for 1 hour, and after that i have about 1200 to 1500 cases, with the same headstamp once fired for free, some shooters will even help me sorting the brass, and others will save their own brass for me, and s&b brass is marked with red or green paint on the bottom, so that's not very difficult te sort.

I think S&B brass is hard to seat the primer. They are tight whic is good but can result in a high primer once in a while.

They also sell steel cases that are a dead ringer for brass cases.

Yep those steel cases are the problem, has nothing to do with the primer seating. The steel cases will stick in the chamber after they are fired. I have had this happen three times and all three times S&B cases (case had to be knocked out with a squib rod). And yes they pass the chamber checking just fine.

That is easy to prevent. I epoxied a small rare earth magnet to the case drop tube in both of my 1050's. If you attach it directly across from the switch on the case feeder, it will trip the switch and stop the case feeder as it holds the steel case. I can take a pic when I get home if anyone is interested.