Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Full auto Shadow

gunnerBU

I went to the range to function test after adjusting the over travel screw yesterday and it went full auto on me. I finally put some loctite on the over travel screw because it had been backing out on its own. Would putting the screw in too far cause this, or is this something bigger?

I have around 800 rounds through it.

Edited by gunnerBU

I went to the range to function test after adjusting the over travel screw yesterday. I finally put some loctite on the over travel screw because it had been backing out on its own. Would putting the screw in too far cause this, or is this something bigger?

I have around 800 rounds through it.

Possible I guess, also check and make sure the firing pin spring isn't broke... that can cause them to go auto.

JT

Yes.

If the hammer-hooks are rubbing or allowed to contact the sear without falling past the sear cleanly as they should when the trigger is all the way back it' no bueno.

Besides, being dangerous, it'll also lead to rounding off the sear, which is also no bueno.

Clear the gun, and then dry-fire it without releasing the trigger (hold it all the way to the rear), then rock the hammer back and forth, if you can feel any rubbing, back out the over-travel screw until you cannot detect even the slightest rubbing taking place.

Besides, being dangerous, it'll also lead to rounding off the sear, which is also no bueno.

That's what I was worried about...

Thank you. I'll fix it tonight and test fire again tomorrow.

Edited by gunnerBU

How much of the screw should be showing on the backside of the trigger? I adjusted it to wear its not rubbing at all, but the screw might as well not be there.

I'll get a picture up later.

I don't run an overtravel screw in my Shadow. It had so little overtravel that it wasn't really even doing anything, similar to what it sounds like you found. I would rather take that tiny, tiny little bit of overtravel than worry about the screw.

The more common malfunction to get with a maladjusted overtravel screw is that you can't drop the hammer at all; the screw moves back so far that the trigger can't move the sear enough to clear the hammer hooks cleanly.

(My 75B SA, on the other hand, is an entirely different story when it comes to overtravel. There's a significant amount, and having the screw makes a noticeable difference.)

I have been reading up on adjusting the OT screw as well. The bit of info from Walküre is spot on for me as well. The trigger has very little OT and as of right now my screw looks to be about the thickness of a piece of paper(.008-.010???) away from the back of the trigger guard. It's good and tight so I've decided that until I feel that screw is holding me back in some way I'm going to leave it as is.

Thanks for that info Walküre :cheers:

When my Shadow Custom was new, it only took about 300 rds for the OT screw to work it's way forward, and almost out of my gun before I felt and noticed it! I cleaned the threads really good (screw & hole in trigger)and degreased it and red-loctited the crap out of it once I had it properly adjusted. So far, so good...but I agree: if it so much as budges, I'll just remove it. It really doesn't do much at reducing overtravel at all, IMO. :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

Yes.

If the hammer-hooks are rubbing or allowed to contact the sear without falling past the sear cleanly as they should when the trigger is all the way back it' no bueno.

Clear the gun, and then dry-fire it without releasing the trigger (hold it all the way to the rear), then rock the hammer back and forth, if you can feel any rubbing, back out the over-travel screw until you cannot detect even the slightest rubbing taking place.

I kept noticing when I was making ready, as I manually decocked my hammer, I would feel a slight "bump" as I lowered it. Is this what you are referring to as hammer-hooks rubbing the sear? If so, I need to remove my OT screw completely, because it is just barely sticking out the back of the trigger. It has been doing this for quite a while...I hope I haven't damaged my hammer-hooks or sear. Will the bump go away if I remove the OT screw? Thanks.

Couldn't remove the OTS, (too much red loctite-stripped the screw hole) so I just dremeled the end of the OT screw off that touches the gun, and no more "bump" when I rock the hammer. I don't feel that it made any difference in the overtravel either. I hope the problem is solved. :)

Glad you got it fixed. Very common problem on the CZ--almost don't need the OTS and you HAVE to use Loctite on it if you have one. I have one gun that I switch back and forth between DA/SA and SAO and have to check it each time I make the swap.

Joe