Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sear engagement issue?

mark97se

I put a Vanek Super trigger in my Gen 2 Glock 17 the other day and it felt great and worked fine...until I put a full magazine in it and tried to shoot it. When the full mag is inserted and the action cycles, the trigger does not reset properly- it goes forward, but trigger safety pad is resting on the frame and as soon as you squeeze the trigger, the safety releases and it goes fully to the rear with nothing happening. Do I have too little sear engagement? Recommendations? Solutions?

Edited by mark97se

Modified function check for a glock should be as follows. (naturally with weapon clear, no magazine inserted, no ammo in the room etc) Starting with the striker in the non cocked position. Charge the pistol( aka rack the slide), with trigger finger applying pressure to the rear. With the slide back in battery, release the trigger pressure, trigger should reset to the forward position (and click). Press the trigger to the rear and the striker should fall. Charge the pistol (aka rack the slide) without depressing the trigger safety in the center of the trigger, attempt to press the trigger to the rear. The striker should not fall.

Sounds like you have to much over travel limiting. To start with dial out some pretravel and some overtravel and start again. Worst case shoot a quickie video and post. Easier to diagnose when I see it. lol.

Modified function check for a glock should be as follows. (naturally with weapon clear, no magazine inserted, no ammo in the room etc) Starting with the striker in the non cocked position. Charge the pistol( aka rack the slide), with trigger finger applying pressure to the rear. With the slide back in battery, release the trigger pressure, trigger should reset to the forward position (and click). Press the trigger to the rear and the striker should fall. Charge the pistol (aka rack the slide) without depressing the trigger safety in the center of the trigger, attempt to press the trigger to the rear. The striker should not fall.

Sounds like you have to much over travel limiting. To start with dial out some pretravel and some overtravel and start again. Worst case shoot a quickie video and post. Easier to diagnose when I see it. lol.

I would agree,could be the pre and over travel are so close when you have a

full mag in the gun it tweeks the frame so ever slightly and you loose your

settings.follow usmc0326 instructions this should clear it up.

I should have said more intitially...I had already backed off on both adjustments. I had also already done the function check with weapon empty = all good. I just also did the function check with mag full of dummies = all good, but as soon as I have a mag of dummies in, and cycle it without touching the trigger (as in loading the weapon), it is back to the same problem. I backed the over travel screw all the way back = no change.

I should have said more intitially...I had already backed off on both adjustments. I had also already done the function check with weapon empty = all good. I just also did the function check with mag full of dummies = all good, but as soon as I have a mag of dummies in, and cycle it without touching the trigger (as in loading the weapon), it is back to the same problem. I backed the over travel screw all the way back = no change.

You did try with different mags?

trigger bar bent or rubbing on frame when a

mag is loaded.

just a couple more thoughts

I will try some different mags, but it did it with both my AA 22 conversion and the normal glock upper so that is at least 2.

If the sear engagement was minimal, is it possible that the upward pressure of the full mag could push an old/loose slide upwards enough to cause the sear to not catch on the striker? I wish that I could see inside...I wish I had one of those armorer slide plates.

I'm using a Vanek super trigger kit. I had put about 2000 rounds thru it with no problems.

I Broke it down for cleaning and noticed the connector had a dull spot so I polished it out, cleaned the

gun and put it back to gather. The next day i went out to shoot and had a single shot Glock.

The trigger was not reseting. I took it apart and could not find anything wrong. I ended up coming here and using my search-fu and found if the connector is flat aginst the trigger housing the trigger will not reset. I put a slight bend and re-assembled and Triggger resets fine now and i have about 250 flawless rounds thru it.

Rick

I'm using a Vanek super trigger kit. I had put about 2000 rounds thru it with no problems.

I Broke it down for cleaning and noticed the connector had a dull spot so I polished it out, cleaned the

gun and put it back to gather. The next day i went out to shoot and had a single shot Glock.

The trigger was not reseting. I took it apart and could not find anything wrong. I ended up coming here and using my search-fu and found if the connector is flat aginst the trigger housing the trigger will not reset. I put a slight bend and re-assembled and Triggger resets fine now and i have about 250 flawless rounds thru it.

Rick

I will have to take a look at that a bit later.

I was able to duplicate the problem without the mag now. I also backed the pre travel all the way off, so the adjustment screws should not be effecting anything.

The function check above is not catching it, as it is only happening when the action is cycled when the striker is already cocked. If it is cycled with the trigger held back or after the trigger has been pulled, it works fine...but if I take a fully charged/cocked pistol and rack the slide without touching the trigger, it then doesn't reset properly(trigger pad safety resting on frame) and when you pull the trigger it goes back with no tension and doesn't fire.

Edited by mark97se

I would call vanek. I have seen a couple with the second hole that allowed the trigger to slide off. Swapping holes was the way to go. If you just have the one hole, then he might need to redo something in the trigger.

I installed a super trigger in a G24 and it worked great for 3,000 or so rounds, and tehn did exactly what you described. I called Vanek and talked with Charlie, who was very helpful. He told me he had used ome aftermarket connecters that hd ended up causing these problems. He told me that I could send the whole trigger assembly back and he would replace it. I was two days from the Gator Classic so Charlie told me to use a polished Glock 3.5 connector. It worked great and is still working now. I never did send the trigger back to Vanek.

• 2 months later...

My well-used Vanek GM trigger does it when racked vigorously w/o a loaded mag inserted in my G17. I relocated the trigger spring to its orig position, on the lower hole, cured the problem but the trigger pull was 5 oz heavier. I replaced the trigger spring from a wolff competition pack, installed in the upper hole, solved the problem and the pull weight was ok back to "normal"

eta: My take was that the worn-out trigger spring was failing to pull the sear in time to catch the striker so they dont engage at all. I looked at it thru an armorers back plate

Edited by BoyGlock

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the info. I talked with charlie and he gave me something to try...but I have been moving and just haven't been able to set aside any time to mess with it.

Can you tell us what Charlie advised to try? Just curious, see if my cure is correct. Tia