Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Zen, the flame and the void in The Wheel of Time

canadianbacon

I've been reading about Zen on here, and it sounds a lot like the flame and the void in the Wheel of Time series.

In the book series, the characters use "the flame and the void", in which they reach a state that sounds like the zen-state described in this forum.

They picture a flame in their minds, and "feed" all thought into the flame, until their minds are clear.

While in this state, they ignore thoughts, emotions, etc. and it makes them able to do actions more effectively, like using a sword or bow.

Just thought I would share this and see if anyone else who has read the books has noticed this.

this may be a case of the blind leading the blind...

If you have a way and I do mean any way...

to clear your mind of every thought that distracts you

from being able to see what you need to see

and removes all doubts that deflect you

from being able to do what needs being done....

you may call it any thing you want.

(and if you can bottle it... a fortune awaits...)

the books I do not know.

the cluttered mind and doubts.... I know.

oh fantasy! free me!

its beyond me.

miranda

What I've always wanted to know about Beyond Fundamentals (where most of the zen talk comes from), is how much influence Bruce Lee had on Brian Enos, or was it more Miyamoto Musashi, or yet another practitioner of a martial art?

I was expecting mr. Enos to answer your question

and since that has not happened ... yet.

From what I have read, yes Bruce Lee has influenced Brian.

you may well want to take some time to test

the search function here in this forum.

it is pretty good. try hunting the word 'himselves'

how that thread came to be is a mystery to me....

now I will have to go look up musashi...

wasn't he the one who used a stick with murderous intent?

miranda

What I've always wanted to know about Beyond Fundamentals (where most of the zen talk comes from), is how much influence Bruce Lee had on Brian Enos, or was it more Miyamoto Musashi, or yet another practitioner of a martial art?

Although Bruce Lee was a definite influence, probably the biggest was Krishnamurti. And a half dozen additional ancient masters. "Influence," meaning: I tested what they said against my own experience to see if was true, for me.

be

Just thought I would share this and see if anyone else who has read the books has noticed this.

Yes ... Rand talks about it right at the beginning of the adventure.

I read those books starting in grade 10 (OMG, 23 years ago :surprise: ) and have seen the similarities.

It's not easy though, picturing a candle flame and then pouring everything into it. Give it a try before you start a practice session. Very difficult.

now I will have to go look up musashi...

wasn't he the one who used a stick with murderous intent?

His two sword fighting style was first realized by beating a challenger with a sword in one hand and a boat oar in another.

Wrote The Book of Five Rings and does cover some concepts of zen as they relate to martial arts.

Influence meant to be "the finger pointing at the moon." :cheers:

I'd like to mention a book I like which has "Zen" aspects and I think explains things in a non-mystical way. It almost sounds too simple.

Illuminated Spirit

It features teachings from a Japanese Archery Master in modern Japan.

Things from the book that I relate to my shooting:

• Mental aspects of shooting like heijoshin "everyday mind". This is cultivating the attitude that makes competition feel like everyday practice.
  • How poor technique can cancel out miskates. You think you're doing things right by getting hits yet everything falls apart when the littlest thing chages like the weather.
  • Having proper intention towards practice and hitting. Don't blame the gun, look inward and find out what you did.
  • The "wooden fighting chicken" that appeared so competent other chickens would lay down in defeat just seeing him. Maybe someday....
  • The self-refinement emphasis of Japanese Archery where doing your best is more important than winning at all costs.

It has definitely improved my shooting and enjoyment of the sport.

DNH