Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Homemade round counter and press lights with control box

Sorry about the bad quality video but that's not my specialty. I wanted a round counter for my Dillons that actually counted finished rounds not turns of the shellplate. I saw others had attached a pressure switch by cutting into the chute, but without the strongmount, there was no space for the pressure switch. I attached it to the left of the bin on the bracket by drilling a small hole. The lights came by reworking an idea by infabrication using LED light strips. I made a control box from plexiglass held together with small screws because you can see the wiring which looks cool.The metal, holding the counters and switches and the backing of the plexiglass enclosure, was powder coated black by a friend. The box is connected with a computer cord to a wiring box under the bench. This gathers all the wires from the presses and power cord. It can be easily disconected for moving. I attached a small piece of aluminum cut in a square to the arm of the switch to help catch and measure each complete round. Yes it's alot of work, but everyone here knows how much fun it is to customize their press and make it unique to them. Once again, sorry for the crappy video.The counters are very visible although they don't seem to be in the video because of the light conditions. :)

Super slick. Must be a sparky of some kind. Nice lookin setup!

I'll bet u a beer he's an IT guy! RJ-45's ??? :rolleyes:

name the beer. I'm thirsty. :cheers::goof::surprise::surprise:

Edited by Youngeyes

Yeah I saw the RJ. Still a slick idea though.

You have a nice setup with the resets too youngeyes. Although sharks with La-Zers would be awesome!

If we are bettin beers that means I have enough to share!

Maybe something like this, smaller of course, the small one can be bolted to your housing. Plexiglass is always cool when wiring neat stuff up. The big one is a male, smaller version on your cable. Voila!

68b706f5.jpg

Been a sparky for so long, seen just about every weird little connectoer you can imagine!

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry about the bad quality video but that's not my specialty. I wanted a round counter for my Dillons that actually counted finished rounds not turns of the shellplate. I saw others had attached a pressure switch by cutting into the chute, but without the strongmount, there was no space for the pressure switch. I attached it to the left of the bin on the bracket by drilling a small hole. The lights came by reworking an idea by infabrication using LED light strips. I made a control box from plexiglass held together with small screws because you can see the wiring which looks cool.The metal, holding the counters and switches and the backing of the plexiglass enclosure, was powder coated black by a friend. The box is connected with a computer cord to a wiring box under the bench. This gathers all the wires from the presses and power cord. It can be easily disconected for moving. I attached a small piece of aluminum cut in a square to the arm of the switch to help catch and measure each complete round. Yes it's alot of work, but everyone here knows how much fun it is to customize their press and make it unique to them. Once again, sorry for the crappy video.The counters are very visible although they don't seem to be in the video because of the light conditions. :)

Video was lost so I'm reposting. :)

Video was lost so I'm reposting. :)

Two points:

1.) I don't know why everyone is so adamant about keeping count by counting primer packs.

I use my 650 to decap/size and trim 5.56 brass, and don't run powder or primers through the machine.

I've run about 12,000 rounds through, and I don't have a primer pack on the bench.

2.) I have my micro-switch mounted underneath the platform on right side, and it triggers when the spent primer cup bracket makes contact on the downstroke. I'd much rather count brass, as you do,that actually went down the chute, but so far I've not seen a way to make a sturdy paddle for the brass to hit on the way through that wont stress my microswitch. Any more detail on the paddle, and I just may have to change my config.

:cheers:

Mine is on a 550. There wasn't room to put the switch under the chute without the strongmount. I used thin sheetmetal at the end of a longarm switch and let the finished round fall onto it then into the bin. Works very well. This other one is on a 650 and lets the round roll down the chute to get counted. Very neat. Check it out. http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=144761&st=0

Nice setup Youngeyes!

To those of you running a setup like this what are you using to drive the counter?

Is it some type of microprocessor like Arduino or is it simpler?

I'd like to do something like this as well after I get done rebuilding my bench.

I also did a rework on the inline fabrication lighting concept, I went a few steps further and actually got a different color, warm white, and cut it into multiple small strips that I placed around the toolhead. (I got a lot of the LED strips actually, I've been using them to light up my kitchen and multiple areas at work as well.)

Nice setup Youngeyes!

To those of you running a setup like this what are you using to drive the counter?

Is it some type of microprocessor like Arduino or is it simpler?

I'd like to do something like this as well after I get done rebuilding my bench.

I also did a rework on the inline fabrication lighting concept, I went a few steps further and actually got a different color, warm white, and cut it into multiple small strips that I placed around the toolhead. (I got a lot of the LED strips actually, I've been using them to light up my kitchen and multiple areas at work as well.)

I got this list and used it to set up my counters from sd624.

Grainger www.grainger.com counter

http://www.grainger....5&cm_vc=IDPRRZ1

Jameco www.jameco.com

Micro switch (round counter) Part no. 187805

On/off switch Part no. 315484

Counter reset switch Part no. 315432

Battery clip 9V Part no. 11280

You can see his setup here: http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=144761&st=0