Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

help w tricking out my m&p

Travis224

I just bought the 9mm 4.25" barreled m&p with the boron treated slide. Now i just want it tricked out with a comp'd barrel (kkm im told) and trigger kit. Not positive it needs EVERY bell and whistle, i just want it to run well with factory loads AND minor loads, so getting springs is also on the list. Please if you have time, tell why i should buy it on your recomendation. Id much rather NOT have a box of useless parts on the road to a race gun. Thanks!

One of the first things I would get is some 170mm magazine extensions (I know Taylor Freelance makes some) and some extended magazine springs, it should put you into the 27-28 range for rounds in your magazine. The fastest reload is the one you don't have to do.

If you're looking for a gunsmith trigger job, Dan Burwell on the forums is practically legendary for his. If you're looking for a drop in kit, the Apex Tactical Competition AEK is very popular and I've been hearing good things about the FSS Trigger from them. The Reset Assist Mechanism made by Apex tactical can really help make the Reset more pronounced when using their competition trigger springs.

I'm not sure if anyone currently makes a frame mount for the M&P so doing something like a slide mounted DeltaPoint or RMR might be your best option for optics (assuming you are planning to put electric sights on it.)

With a barrel you can either go the ported barrel route or get a threaded barrel and mount a compensator, I know B&B enterprises(Carver Custom) recently came out with one for the M&P but it may be a little difficult to acquire at the moment.

You might want to consider an extended magwell to help with reloading and to give you some more non-reciprocating mass, they come in multiple sizes and weights.

Lastly, some grip tape or stippling will be an inexpensive improvement.

http://bb-enterprise.biz/productCat44998.ctlg

Give Bobby Carver a look. I think he uses Storm Lake barrels, but I do know he designed a line of comps for the M&P. I'm sure if you give him a call theres other things he can do to your gun that he doesnt advertise. He's is one of the best at customer service that I have dealt with. Just to prove that point, I was at the range Sunday afternoon and he was there tuning/testing customer guns. One of the guns was one he built and getting ready for delivery. The other two were built by competitors and he told the owners that he would be happy to check out their problems they were having and try to fix them....free of charge minus shipping costs. I run one of his Glock open designs, and I love the gun, but its a really cool thing knowing he is just a phone call away if I run into a problem I cant solve. Hope the info helps, and good luck on your build.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, i have already installed the Apex competition kit, and have a nice set of Dawson adj sights with fiber optic front. Waiting to see if bobby gets barrels in threaded for his comp. this week, all else will follow after that.

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

I just "completed" a M&P9 4.25" open gun. Used Bobby Carver compensator and storm lake barrel as well as his guiderod assembly, a SJC magwell, added an APEX CAEK and AEK trigger, and I dovetail mounted a Deltapoint. Very nice gun, very flat shooting. Bobby should be releasing his mount and magwell soon. I'll keep you posted. I have already decided that's the way I'm going.