Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Is It People Behind The Gun Counter?

Skalkaho Slim

I don't mean to offend anyone, and I don't want this to start a flame war, but I got a serious gripe/question.

Let's say I just moved into town.  I'm an avid shooter and by no means feel that I know everything about firearms.  I am confident in the fact that I can hold my own in a conversation dealing with firearms.  I decide to make a visit to all of the local shops (let's say 5) just to familiarize myself with them.  Why is it that there is only one, maybe two, that treat their customers with any amount of respect?  By this I mean, unless you aren't part of the "coffee crowd", the majority seem to rather ignore you than present you with a decent "How ya doin'?", "Lookin' for anything in particular today?", etc..  They would rather stay in their little coffee cocoon and chat with the regulars.  I'm here to possibly lay down $500.00+ on a firearm.  Are they in the business of making money or what?!  Don't get me wrong, I have been part of the coffee crowd at various shops, but only those where the owner has the common decency and courtesy to acknowledge customers when they come in the door.  Who knows, maybe this new guy can have some good info to share with the rest of us.

It just seems as though the majority of people behind the counter treat you in one of two ways:

1.  They think you are completely ingnorant about firearms and know nothing about them.

2.  They think you are a freak because "maybe you know a little TOO much about them."

There, I'm done.  Thank you for listening to my prattle.

Toujours Pret!

Skalkaho Slim

I know what you mean Skalkaho Slim.  Of all the shops in the rather large area I live in the best one is a hole in the wall in a crappy part of town.  They treat everyone who comes in decently and don't act all bothered if you want to look at every damn thing in the store.  They don't have the greatest selection on hand but they will order anything you want and they don't jack up the prices with some lame "special order" excuse.  The big shops in town don't seem to have the first clue about customer service.

Amen, there's only one gunstore within a reasonable driving distance around here, and the people there are just terrible. I've waited for 30 minutes one time while they were just sitting around. When I said something, the inquiry was ignored. It's too bad I absolutely had to get something that day that couldn't wait.

I am fortunate. Our local shops are just the opposite. Eveyone is greeted with a good morning, good afternoon, and/or may I help you? The coffee crowd (I am one of them) is polite and we don't interfere with the business. Of course, we really flame the arm chair commandos and/or pilgrims after they leave. :)

When I lived in So Cal, there was a pretty good selection of shops around.  The only one I would ever go to was "that little hole in the wall".  Owned by an elderly gentleman for the past 20 years.  One of those shops that you had to walk around piles of "stuff" in order to get around.  He'd let you go behind the counter and handle anything you wanted.  Dig through piles of reloading equipment, whatever.  I sure do miss that place.  I absolutely refuse to go into any of the "chain" stores anymore.  I'd rather buy online or out of catalogues.

Toujours Pret!

Slim

Here's why I like the guys who specialize in shooting better than chain stores.  Gun ownership is a common bond between like-minded folks, sort of like the forum here.   If we fail to support our privately owned businesses,  the big corporations will run them out of business with low prices.

CAUTION: RANT MODE ON

("Oh no", you may gasp, "big corportations just don't work that way".)  Hehehe, hide and watch kiddies!  Then, after the CEO, CFO, and half the board of directors has absconded with the net worth of the corporation through bogus loans, stock options and incentive bonuses, the cut backs and layoffs will begin.  The first thing to go will be the gun counter.  Believe me, we would be in a world of hurt without the businesses who dedicate themselves strictly to shooting.  Twenty years ago, average CEO salaries were 20 times the average worker.  ($20K worker - $400K CEO)  And I believe the CEO's earned it then.  Today the ratio is closer to 400 to one. ($40K to $16 Million).   And the genius makin' the $16 mil has managed to run the company broke!  So, if you think the guy who owns the local gunshop is a crook, you ain't, as they say in corporate America, "gettin' the big picture".   Buy gun stuff from Gun People, the little bit extra you pay is the insurance that they will be there when you need them!!!   Whether it is on-line like Brian, or down the street from your house, get your gun stuff from our allies, OK?   Rant mode off.  

Thanks, I feel better.  -Sam  

SAm, As an employee of a large gunshop, by our standards, that is owned by shooters may I say thank you and I hope you have had children.

We are lucky in New Zealand that our firearms laws effectively prohibit guns from being sold by chain stores. These abomination to the retail world go in and out of business quicker than snow melts in hell. The people you get behind the counter have a IQ lower than a worms belly and they will not / can't help.

I have worked in firearms retail for close on 9 years, nt every day is the best. Well thats life. Some customers you just want to jump the counter and pound into dust, others make it all worthwhile. I have bad days too and sometimes stuff up. Hopefully I keep this to a minimum, I am sure that some people may never step back in the shop through something I have said. I would like to be able to keep everybody happy, but thats unrealistic, but as Stalkaho Slim says some people go out of their way to make life hard.

I spent 15years the other side of the counter, the owners of the shop I "work" in spent between the two of them 60 years the other side, and if the other gunshops were doing it right I would still be managing a large warehouse, not tinkering with guns.

We have coffee on the go all the time. Anyone is welcome to stick their oar in the water, I learn more from these people than they learn from me.

Find the gunshops you like, tell them why, never tell the crap ones why you left, then the good owns will get all the good people.

Whatever else happens have fun shooting.

MBneACP,

Hope I see you soon in the shop.

Flex,

Just sold a Sako Tr-G42 338 Lapua. I wasn't able to get the pics done but he will be coming back for the bipod and silencer as soon as his bank account recovers, so I intend getting some more for you.

Anyone down my way is more than welcome to drop in. But you may have to leave it for the weekend as I here the airfares are cheaper then. Plus parking the 747 in the main street is much easier on saturday afternoon.

Not so many parking officers about.