Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Handgun Modification Question

George

Q. Is there any rule (not reason) that says I have to have a slide release installed, and/or have the ability to lock it open?

I recently decided I would rather have my open gun (Glock in 9x21) run without the slide release and spring. The spring went on me and ruined a stage so I took it out to keep shooting and never bothered to do anything about it because I kinda prefer it that way. I ran the 2004 IPSC handgun rules through and found no reason I can’t leave it this way.

I am quite capable of presenting the gun in a satisfactory manner for RO inspection and see no reason why I should need to have the ability to lock back. I do not believe a stage can force me be locked back in it’s description.

Thanks,

--

Geoff

Short answer: No (at least IPSC rule that I know).

Long answer: although there's no rule forcing you to have a slide release, I'm not sure it's a good idea to remove it.

On my SVI I have disabled the empty mag-slide lock feature, since I prefer not to have it, but the slide stop is fully functional.

Let's consider this situation (I know, glocks are supposed not to jam, never, but let's suppose it anyway): you have a jam, a bullet is trapped between slide and barrel ramp while being stripped from the magazine. Sometimes, the usual tap-rack-bang drill doesn't clear it, and you need to lock the slide open to literally tear out the (now) stuck magazine with one hand while keeping the gun with the other.

Or, you could have a double feed, and you still need a locked back slide to clear this jam.

All in all, even if there is no rule against it, I'd rather keep a functional slide stop on my gun.

George (Geoff?),

No problem in Open Division provided Rule 5.1.6. ("servicable and safe") is not invoked by a Range Official, but I seriously doubt it would be.

On the other hand, you would not be permitted to remove your slide release from your Glock if you decided to shoot Production Division.

Rules-wise...sounds like you are fine in Open Division.

Everybody says to put a spacer of some sort in there if you want to take the slide stop/release out of the Glock...so you trigger doesn't have any extra wiggle room.

On the other hand, you would not be permitted to remove your slide release from your Glock if you decided to shoot Production Division.

Interesting thing that I had not considered before Vince. Is that because it would be considered an external modification?

People usually want to ADD items to the gun rather than eliminate them. B)

Hi Michael,

Yes Sir. The term "modifications" includes "altering, adding and/or subtracting bits", and it wouldn't be the first time I've been asked about removing a Glock slide stop in respect of Production Division (not in this case, but I added a preemptive disclaimer).

FYI, you'd be surprised how often I'm also asked the question "Can I shave off bits of the backstrap of my G17 in Production Division", but the answer is still "No".

Thanks for the replies, I thought it was legal.

Everybody says to put a spacer of some sort in there if you want to take the slide stop/release out of the Glock...so you trigger doesn't have any extra wiggle room.

Checked that after I first removed it and it made no difference, just dropped the release back in, checked it again and still no difference.

As far as jams go, I have never been unable to get one of the mags I use out by pulling from the bottom(big a$$ mag bases) . I have successfully cleared double feeds this way also. It was the second time in the life of the gun that the spring broke and the fifth time across all of my Glocks. My competition one is going to stay without one for now because I don’t want it happening again.

Thanks again,

--

Regards,

George...keep an eye on that trigger...let me know how it holds up. I've been wondering if that was myth or not.

So far, it seems to be myth. I dryfire a lot and it feels the same now as it did when I got it back from getting a trigger job 18 months ago. The release has been in my swarf box for about six months now and I hope it can stay there because I am not missing it. Shooting major, I busted two of the springs within 10 months after shooting 10’s of thousands of rounds at minor PF in the previous dozen years (it’s a real old 17L).

--

Regards,