Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking for advice on introducing my son to USPSA

MFeit

I am a new uspsa shooter. I have been to three matches so far. My ten year old son really wants to join in the fun. He is very tall for his age, extremely safety conscious and already very dedicated to shooting. We have done Ruger rimfire shoots and spend a lot of time at the range. I recently purchased an M and P 9 for him to shoot. I have 3 mags, an Uncle Mikes Kydex holster, double mag pouch and a Cr Speed belt on the way. We are going to take a beginners class in a couple of weeks that is taught by one our local master class shooters. My initial thoughts are to have him shoot limited minor even though this equipment isn't ideal for that division. The rationale being that he can learn the game and not have to worry about the extra reloads. This will also save me some cash in the short time and I can make sure he really enjoys it before I blow more money on additional equipment.

So, am I on the right track? Any advice from other parents?

Sounds like a good plan. We have a few kids about that age that shoot locally. As long as he can handle the stages safely and is mature enough to stay focused through a full match, go for it.

My son started at ten is now almost 18

dont short change him he will figure out the reloads and he will have a blast.

at that age my son did good for the first few stages then accuracy went out the window as he got tired of pulling the trigger (stock XD )

but he always had a great time .

many years forward everything he learned clicked in his head( I swear overnight) and I have been running to keep up ever since.

He leaves for the Marine Corps in 4 months. Im proud of Him.

Enjoy ths time it goes way to fast.

I think 3 mags even in Limited won't be enough, especially when you have a stage with mandatory reloads. Personally I'd put him in Production, buy at least two more cheap 10 round mags and four CR Speed Versa Mag Pouches. Sure Limited shooters reload less often, but they still have to reload and Production shooters sure get practice on doing reloads, which is a good thing. Production also seems to have the most Junior shooters, so he would possibly have other kids to compete against and become friends with.

If down the road he moves away from the sport a Production setup would in my opinion be easier to sell.

On a side note, he may not think it now, but he's one lucky young man having a hobby you two share.

there was a really young kid (10 or so) shooting at this last match. I think its awesome. I wish I would have been introduced to this sport sooner. Beats the heck out of shooting at paper stapled to a tree on a farm.

I was brought into this sport by my father years ago too. The great thing about that was there was no learning curve as far as safety when I decided to come back years later. All that safety stuff never went away. I think that is the greatest thing our sport teaches really. Safety. He will never forget the time you two spent shooting together. I know I never will.

Also, I started with a revolver. The reloads he will get. Teaching him to think about them will only benefit that thinking about ammo that is really crucial to shooting in any action pistol sport. Have fun, and good shooting.

Edited by JimmyZip

I agree that a couple more mags and cheap pouch would be a good idea. See how he does at the Beginners Class. Decide about shooting L or P after that. You might even let him shoot L and reshoot P one day if he can manage it.

FWIW

Richard

Sounds like a lot of fun either way you go. My son is almost 11 and he wants to start shooting in competitions too but strictly carbine matches for some reason. im gonn just let him choose what he wants to shoot he might choose the hardest division wich would chalenge him more. It really is great being a dad. My son watched Benny Hill shoot a carbine match the other day and i think he is my sons new idle.

I started about 10 in SASS competitions. I now have a son but it will be a few years before we start thinking about competitions but I have talked with my dad about it some. Here are some of my thoughts:

-Get him a couple extra magazines and at least one extra pouch when you can. He will like having more stuff on his belt most likely, even if he shoots limited minor.

-Let him decide on a division, production or L Minor especially after his first match. If he hasn't brought it up he probably won't care.

-Encourage him to help score and tape, it will make the time go faster. But you may want to let him get away with a little wandering for a while. Remember your attention span when you were ten, mine wasn't good. :rolleyes:

-don't push him too hard other than for safety, he will probably want to hose, he will come around...maybe... :devil:

-Remember something else, he will cherish your time together more than you can understand. I just shot a match with my dad again a couple weeks ago that makes 25 years of shooting matches together it's still some of my best memories growing up. :cheers:

Division doesn't matter for the first dozen or so matches.

Safety is the only thing that counts as long as he has fun and is safe it is a win.

My 6th child is now 9 and shoots the matches be can with me and his older brother(13) and has a blast. I am constantly amazed at how quickly they learn and progress.

I really like the idea of a starter class for both of you. The time I spend with my boys shooting is priceless.

Enjoy it.

Thanks for all of the replies thus far. My son and I are both looking forward to the class at the end of the month. I know that I will certainly benefit. Hopefully I will learn a system for remembering to engage all of the targets :blush: .

I will look into grabbing a couple of extra mags. That makes a lot of sense regardless of which division he shoots in. I think we will see how the class goes before we decide on a division.

I am pretty lucky in that my son tolerates "down time" during matches. The state rimfire match was a twelve stage all day affair in cold drizzly weather. He was a trooper all day.

I really do feel lucky to have an activity that my son wants to do with me. My daughters (7 and 13 ) have little interest in guns (still holding onto hope for the youngest). However, the whole clan enjoys shooting at the archery range. These times are SO special. I hope that I am creating experiences and memories that my kids can keep forever.