Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Weird Surrender Start...

renzo808

I'm not quite sure what this guy is doing with the holster right before each draw... but it makes me feel kinda icky... :unsure:

Wasn't really sure...'til ~2:00 oh yeah that is icky...esp when combined with the pelvic thrust w/sound :roflol:

...but I'm no pro

^^^

Agreed, started watching the side view starting at the 2:00 mark and now I have to pick pieces of my sandwich out of my keyboard. :roflol:

He is stupid fast, though.

There are some lessons to be learned from this guy and it has nothing to do with his technique.

Let us know what they are!

First, let me say, I dont think much of his technique...but I dont have a sub 1 sec. draw, so what do I know?

This guy has 'built his trigger' (ref: The Art of Learning, Josh Waitzkin)

In his preshot routine, ignore all the weird motions and just notice that he has a preshot routine. Its (nearly) exactly the same every time. He sticks to it, right, wrong or otherwise. He has removed all the variables.

His ready position is exactly the same every time. His feet, his shoulders, his head, are in the same position every time. His mind is in the same place, every time.

When the RO says "Are you ready?" By God, this guy is ready.

He also looks like he's having Fun.

But the big questions are:

A guy we've never heard of, who rarely shoots centerfire, comes out of nowhere, uses an unorthodox but systematic technique and finishes very high at the Steel Shoot...Should 'students of the game' study him?

If he had won, what parts of your game would you work on?

In his preshot routine, ignore all the weird motions and just notice that he has a preshot routine. Its (nearly) exactly the same every time. He sticks to it, right, wrong or otherwise. He has removed all the variables.

His ready position is exactly the same every time. His feet, his shoulders, his head, are in the same position every time. His mind is in the same place, every time.

+1,000

There are some lessons to be learned from this guy and it has nothing to do with his technique.

Let us know what they are!

First, let me say, I dont think much of his technique...but I dont have a sub 1 sec. draw, so what do I know?

But the big questions are:

A guy we've never heard of, who rarely shoots centerfire, comes out of nowhere, uses an unorthodox but systematic technique and finishes very high at the Steel Shoot...Should 'students of the game' study him?

If he had won, what parts of your game would you work on?

One thing of his that I did try when I first saw this post (but didn't care to write about it till now) was the twist he uses in his wrists. I gave it a go in dry fire and I have to admit that it made me "feel" faster than coming straight down. Theoretically, straight down should be quicker, but it felt like I had better momentum to the holster with the twist. At the same time I also realized that the different holster position I use for SSP/Production and Single Stack/CDP pretty much makes it a terrible hand position for me, so I didn't pursue it. Maybe somebody else who shoots from an Open rig would do well to try it out on the clock.

• 2 weeks later...

I had the luxury to see this shooter in person at that Steel Challenge Match. It was as "uh" interesting in person as it is on the video. I can attest that he used a legal surrender hand position.

If he didn't shoot with bent arms he could shoot faster and more accurately. His mega bent arms grip is killing his ability to manage the recoil. I am sure this is a product of shooting a bunch of airsoft where recoil isn't a factor and you can pretty much shoot effectively using any amount of bent arms.

I think there's another Japanese Steel Challenge shooter I've seen with this same stance (unless it's the same guy with different facial hair) who shoots almost nothing but airsoft in Japan except for when he comes to the States to shoot SC here. I always assumed it's an airsoft affectation. I'd be curious to see what these guys would look like shooting a production gun with no compensator.

Tatsuya Sakai? Yeah, he won the Steel Challenge one year, then DQ'd the next year for popping a round into the ground next to his foot. :o

I was there the year Sakai won. Initially I thought it was kind of neat that he beat out all the big-name professional shooters, but that went away when his Japanese entourage repeatedly yelled "Banzai!" during the awards. Not cool.

I grew up in an area which had a large Japanese population and occasionally heard the Bonzai! salute at celebrations. These days it just means congratulations or "Hurray!" It really isn't meant to be offensive, but I can understand why it would be awkward at the awards. Much better than hearing Tora! Tora! Tora! ;)

I grew up in an area which had a large Japanese population and occasionally heard the Bonzai! salute at celebrations. These days it just means congratulations or "Hurray!" It really isn't meant to be offensive, but I can understand why it would be awkward at the awards. Much better than hearing Tora! Tora! Tora! ;)

LOL! My vote is for a mid-level "Huzzah" and raised glasses with pinkies extended.