Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best 38 spl brass for moonclips?

opcx6

Hi guys, I am new to revolver competition, I have a S & W M14 set up for moonclips and am wondering what you consider the best brass to use with them? I understand WW is a no no?

Thanks in advance for your help.

It depends on the clip. Kind of a chicken and egg thing. For me I use the thickest clips I can get because the are harder to bend but then again I have not clipped a 6 shot k frame yet. All of my moon clip guns were set up that way from the factory. I know when companies like TK cut for clips they specify for factory or their clips. Do you know who converted it?

Lee

It depends on the clip. Kind of a chicken and egg thing. For me I use the thickest clips I can get because the are harder to bend but then again I have not clipped a 6 shot k frame yet. All of my moon clip guns were set up that way from the factory. I know when companies like TK cut for clips they specify for factory or their clips. Do you know who converted it?

Lee

The conversion was done by TK, haven't measured the thickness of the clips yet, but I will.

Lee

According to my dial caliper the clips supplied are .025".

Lee

According to my dial caliper the clips supplied are .025".

Fed brass is fine for .025 clips.

Don't rule out W-W brass, and don't be quick to turn up your nose at Ranch Product's moonclips. The Ranch product moonclips cost about a buck each when you buy 100, and since they are thinner (I seem to recall mine measuring 0.022) than the other brands they work well with the W-W brass. Buying 100 makes it less painful to have to throw one away if it gets bent, and it saves the time of trying to straighten a bent moonclip. When you buy 100 moonclips, you can load all your moonclips ahead of time so you can concentrate on shooting the match, and not worry about de-mooning and re-mooning between stages.

Remington and Federal brass worked best with my TK Custom moonclips for a Ruger GP100. IIRC, Tom of TK Custom recommended that I not use Winchester .38 / 357 mag brass. He was right; it was next to impossible to get Winchester Brass in or out of his moonclips. That was over five years ago, so I don't know if his clips have changed since then.

Chris

Dillon Precision has excellent pricing on moonclips. I have the Johnson clips that fit starline brass and plan on getting more of them. They provide a very tight fit with Starline brass which really helps smooth out my reloads (which need LOTS of smoothing).

-ld

I have a 586-0 which uses Ranch Products moonclips with either federal or Remngton Brass. The Ranch products moonclips for my 627 can use either W-W Ni or Brass, federal or remington but are stiffest with W-W nickel. Pick the brass which best fits your moonclips - not rocket science.