Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

all steel (or close to) rifle stage?

Okay, maybe I'm lazy, but I've tried searching this subforum and the rules. At our club, the longest target is about 200 yards. We've been setting the stage with paper and knock over steel targets. It takes an awfully long time to reset/tape those targets. We are wondering, if we can use hanging steel targets at the longer ranges and maybe a few paper targets up close? We aren't USPSA affiliated, but are considering joining, if we can get enough members.

Edited by kmca

The match we had a CCC this past weekend used all steel rifle targets, with the max range only out to about 340. (CCC's max range was over 600 in January, but the area was those targets are is flooded.) Falling plates were only used in one stage, and a spinner in another. Other than the long stage, the other 3 stages could all be set up in a bay-type range.

There's a thread for the match over in the match announcements forum. Send a PM to FredQ, the match directer. He can probably help you out.

MG 4.3.1

Approved metal targets for use in USPSA Multigun matches include any metal target that provides an adequate method of determining hits or misses other than by falling (self-indicating hits). Scoring metal targets by listening for hits is not permitted. Self-indicating targets when used in a Rifle COF may be engaged from multiple shooting locations as new targets. All types of metal targets may be used as scoring targets or no-shoots. They must be scored in accordance with the relevant Appendices.

The rule above is from the 2011 MG Addendum on the USPSA Website. The main thing is what you consider "an adequate method for scoring" other than "listening for hits". I've seen hanging plates or "gongs" used successfully in a lot of club matches. We could always tell when they got hit.

That said, I wouldn't want to use 'em for a bigger match because it can lead to arguments about whether or not the target was hit. I'm certain NROI wouldn't approve hanging steel for a Level 2 or 3 match.

You might check out the Rifle Flash Targets from MGM at www.mgmtargets.com.

Regards,

CB

Thanks for the replies. Those flash targets would be nice, but we're a very small club with a very limited treasury. The range we use, there could never be anything more than a level 1 match. I thought I read somewhere, that the stage must contain at least one popper and one paper target?

I guess what I'm asking is, is it "legal" to have say 3 paper targets up close or no paper targets at all, and 40 hanging steel targets at various distances?

for USPSA multi-gun rifle or shotgun, an all steel stage would be fine,

for USPSA handgun, an all steel stage is fine as long as there is at least 1 pepper popper or mini pepper popper. the restriction on handgun steel plates is they cant make up all the targets in a stage.

Mike