Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I am OK

AlamoShooter

Sorry this happened to you. But look at it this way; a frag detonated right next to your face and your up and around taking pictures and using the Internet. God's blessed you, my brother! I sure hope you find the cause. I'd bet some firearm forensics folks would LOVE to dissect your wreckage. Maybe get some answers there?

God speed...

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Storing powder in the hopper instead of the original container...

Huh? How is this dangerous? The powder stays in the powder-thrower until I either (1) use it up or (2) am ready to switch to a different load/ powder.

Are you supposed to be dumping the powder-hopper out after every reloading session?

That's a lot of hassle, and potential for spilled powder.

i won't attempt to speak for him, but in my opinion, the danger is in the fact that the powder in the hopper is not labeled. it is essentially a plastic unlabeled jar you "think" you remember putting brand x powder in.

Wow, Jamie. I know you described this to me when you said the Razor had survived when your rifle blew up, but the pictures are incredible. I haven't started loading rifle yet, but I will certainly be sure to take care when making the switch.

Alamo Shooter

First, very happy to hear you weren't severely injured, you must have a very powerful angel watching over you!

Next, thank you so much for keeping up a running dialogue as you worked your way through this problem and it's cause. It reminds me just how careful I have to continue to be while reloading. I think it is fairly normal to get a bit lax in reloading practices over the long haul and this serves as a very good reminder why safety is no accident. (if you pardon the pun. :surprise: )

I am one to leave powder in the hopper, but have adopted the habit of labeling the hopper so I can't forget what's in it. Also never store powder in anything but the jugs I buy it in, and label those too, in big bold black marker for the round that powder is used in.

Best to you,

JL

Edited by Sleepswithdogs