Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

7.62 x 54r dies?

I would like to start reloading for my Mosin on my 550, as I don't like the accuracy of the cheap Russian canned ammo.

What dies should I get on top of the conversion kit?

And what other caliber can the conversion kit be used for besides this?

Thanks in advance!

I reload that on my 550.

Not much else witht he .30 cal powderfunnel and that particular "G" shellplate. If you have a .45 ACP conversion you can use the powderfunnel for loading .308/30-06.

I can't use the powder funnel but the shellplate I use for .460 Weatherby and 8x56R and when I get one I can use it for 45-70.

Neal in AZ

Hmm... not certain. I am at work, therefore I do not have my Lyman manual handy, but FWIW here are the Wiki pages:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.30-06_Springfield

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7.62x54mmR

They are obviously neighbors.

From what I read on different Mosin forums, once you have slugged the barrel you know what you need and go from there.

It was a kill stick. We are trying to turn them into rifles.

isn't the 7.62x54r the same thing as a 30-06 except one is rimmed and the other is not, maybe the 30-06 dies would work, just speculating.

I load both, and the two calibers are not even remotely similar. They use different diameter bullets (.308 for -06, nominally .311 for -54R but can be all over the place depending on the rifle's origin and age), different shellplates, the case capacity is different.

30-06 is significantly more powerful, and does better with slower powders in my experience.

7.62x54R rim size is unique, but similar enough to 45-70 for Dillon to specify "G" size for both.

To answer the thread topic, I use Lee dies for 7.62x54R and Redding for 30-06 - with good accuracy. I prefer to load the rifle rounds on a single-station press.

Edited by Linear Thinker

We carry Redding dies for 7.62x 54R. I use Sierra Matchking bullets intended for .303 British when I load this cartridge.

The only warning is if you are shooting a Dragonov rifle- those rifles must use steel-cased ammunition only. Brass cases are

too maleable, and can rupture at high pressure, damaging the firearm.

I would like to start reloading for my Mosin on my 550, as I don't like the accuracy of the cheap Russian canned ammo.

What dies should I get on top of the conversion kit?

And what other caliber can the conversion kit be used for besides this?

Thanks in advance!

About the only good thing with the 7.62x54 is the cheap ammo. No way I would reload for my Mosen. To each his own I guess.

Pat