Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IPSC ROs

Skywalker

Got this in the email today. Thought it could have applied here too.

Just to get rid of this actual RO vs shooter mindset, I'd suggest at the beginning of each match day all the ROs staff will gather at the entrance of the range, and perform hakka towards competitors while entering. :D

(if you can afford it, download the 13MB video).

I'd advice also on the ROs to wear black shirts and shorts... B)

This should create the right mindset among competitors. ;)

Would someone much more worldly than this poor ol' USA country bumpkin care to simply translate whatever a Haka is into American?

The link seems to be broken.

I suppose you must be talking about matches in another part of the world, In the USofA I have had so few RO's that were problematic that I can say I am not concerned. I see a greater number of shooters that need to be identified by wearing a sign than I do RO's.

This is not to be contrued as RO's being flawless or Shooters being problems. Both exist, and thankfully in smal numbers.

Smile, even yo aren't happy, everyone will wonder what ou've been up to.

Jim

Sorry Jim,

the link is working for me and I'm able to access to the linked page.

It's a joke, and if I disclose it before you actually access the page and download the movie, you'll loose all the fun... ;)

And, believe me, if the ROs will correctly play Hakka, there won't (almost) be problematic competitors (only terror frightened ones...).

OK guys,

The Kiwi Hakka is a Maori "war dance" which is supposed to scare superior Rugby teams like Australia and, er, um, ah, (OK, only Australia is superior), into submission. If you ever get to a rugby match involving New Zealand (a.k.a. The Pirates Of The South Pacific), you will definitely see a Hakka.

However I'm sure some of you (Troy, dude, where is ya?), will appreciate Scotland's recent response to a Kiwi Hakka - click here to open it or, better still, right-click and select "Save target as" to dowload it (2Mb MPG file from a fast server).

HOO-YA .....

POSTSCRIPT: I've tried unsuccessfully three times in the past to convince the IPSC President to allow World Shoot ROs (who always enter the opening ceremonies last after all the competing teams have done a "march past"), to wear dark glasses, carry white canes and be lead by a couple of labradors with handles on their backs, but he keeps refusing me - he's a real party pooper.

Hmmm. Maybe Ecuador .....

I have an inkling what Hakka is, but I'm at work and can't open the file easily. I'm here, though.

I like the white canes/glasses/guide dog thing. It might be a kick in the butt to do something like that. :D

As soon as I can, I'll take a look. We might be able to incorporate some of this into this year's Pistol Nationals. Irreverence is us.

Troy

ROTFLMAO!!! :lol::lol:

Vince, ya killin' me man. I just opened that video. I like both--the Hakka and the Scottish response!

Kilt for nationals is on the way--I gotta get me some face paint, too.....

Troy

However I'm sure some of you (Troy, dude, where is ya?), will appreciate Scotland's recent response to a Kiwi Hakka -

Vince,

that was truly hilarious. Thanks for posting it!

Being Welsh, I have strong hopes that I will one day again be able to take issue with some other comments in this post ... and not the ones with the white canes and guide dogs :P

Kevin

Ah yes, Boyo. I remember Wales fondly.

Rolling hills, lush green valleys and boisterous men endlessly roaming them while singing ballads and searching for vowels. And I particularly loved the church of St. Mary in the hollow of white hazel trees near the rapid whirlpool by St. Tysilio's of the red cave, which of course the locals simply call:

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch .....

(I wonder how many people will actually check the above word in Google?)

:lol:

(And boy is Flex gonna spank me for thread drift ...........)

Vince, very, very funny!! :lol::lol::lol: I showed Mrs. BDH the original haka video followed by your video with the Scottish dudes. She is STILL laughing about it (or maybe it was me fresh out of the shower trying to practice my haka moves and chants to get ready for the US Pistol Nats in a couple of months!) :huh::huh:

...... practice my haka moves and chants to get ready for the US Pistol Nats in a couple of months!)  :huh:  :huh:

Troy will be there too. He'll be wearing a kilt. You have been warned. Both of you.

:lol::lol:

(I'll donate US$100 to charity if anybody gets me a video of BDH doing a Hakka with Troy responding "in kind" - I need a cover shot for my new book "IPSC Bloopers")

Troy will be there too. He'll be wearing a kilt. You have been warned. Both of you.

Vince, there will be more than Troy and I there..... John Amidon will be present, along with Mrs. BDH (working stats). I'm not sure that we can pull this off. :o

Maybe I come to the AustralAsia and watch YOU perform the Hakka! After all, I want to learn from the best.... :P

Who cares about John being there? He's got a sense of humor (I hope). :o Hell, I'd bet he likes a good Hakka as much as the next fellow....

As for Mrs. BDH, we'll just have to make sure she's not around for the show... ;)

As for Rhino's magic pants, I was gonna say no bifurcated garments, but I guess after he was done with them, they weren't bifurcated any more. :o:D

But I ain't doin' it in the Ritz! :lol:

Troy

Don't worry about John Amidon - he's got your number guys.

The thought of BDH doing a hakka and Troy going "commando" under his kilt has forced us to call an Emergency Session of the IPSC Rules Security Council to consider and adopt the following new rule:

10.8 Match Disqualification - Scaring Women and Children

10.8.1 Competitors and match officials will be disqualified from a match for actions which the Match Director, Priest, Minister, Rabbi, Witch Doctor or another Holy Man deems is likely to scare women and children. Examples of such actions include, but are not limited to, large American men doing a hakka, sumo or similar dance, Scotsmen displaying their "meat and two veg", purple pachyderms ventilating their nether regions outside the confines of a porta-potty and Kiwis engaging in lewd acts with farmyard animals (including "platonic" kissing). The Range Master must be notified as soon as he stops barfing.

:D

10.8 Match Disqualification - Scaring Women and Children

10.8.1 Competitors and match officials will be disqualified from a match for actions which the Match Director, Priest, Minister, Rabbi, Witch Doctor or another Holy Man deems is likely to scare women and children. Examples of such actions include, but are not limited to, large American men doing a hakka, sumo or similar dance, Scotsmen displaying their "meat and two veg", purple pachyderms ventilating their nether regions outside the confines of a porta-potty and Kiwis engaging in lewd acts with farmyard animals (including "platonic" kissing). The Range Master must be notified as soon as he stops barfing.

This gets my vote except that banning "platonic" kissing is a bit harsh.

Dear sirs (I mean the latter two),

I'd like to remind you both that under this rule, you could have been DQed at ESC 2003 and therefore banned from the range (bar) for the whole match ... :P

(I split this topic before Uber-Moderator Flex could spank me)

Sky,

Now that hubba-hubba serving espresso at Terni would not scare women and children but, if my wife was there and saw me dribbling like a schoolboy, I would've had three black eyes, if you catch my drift :D

Under this new topic heading I'm going to add the text from a notice that we posted at a match a few years back:

SHIELD SG CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH

24 – 25 OCTOBER 1998

NOTICE

DUE TO A SHORTAGE OF ROBOTS SOME OF OUR RO’S HAVE BEEN REPLACED BY HUMANS.

THEY MAY REACT UNEXPECTEDLY IF PROVOKED!

Actually I think I recall that we decided to make this match a "Politeness Personified" match.

The ROs dressed in suit and tie, some with bow tie. Everything was over the top polite. Everyone had a good giggle and one competitor remarked that the ROs looked smarter than most of the people in his office. And this on a cold damp autumn day.

Coat and tie? Hell, I'm still trying to convince Brother Chepit to wear socks and underwear .........

Heeeeyyy. Another candidate for the new rule. Everytime he sits opposite me while wearing his trademark shorts, I have to avert my eyes before he crosses his legs. I've lead a sheltered life and I'm easily scared.

:)