Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

USPSA limited gun, minor

AmericanHorse

Will these glock 19 mods put me in the USPSA Limited Div:

-grip reduction and stippling the frame to index my support hand thumb.

In a different area, do the pistol rules, such major and minor factors, play into USPSA 3-gun rules?

Thanks

Yeah those mods won't fly for production. If you are new to the USPSA and just want to play, you can. In most cases local match directors for a level 1/club matches will let you play. It won't fly for a level 2 or 3 match though. Technically, it doesn't work for any match, but most times people are flexible to new shooters. Plus, give it a try and check out other people's equipment why you are there. Find a local match and call match director to discuss that you'd like to shoot with the equipment you have. I've never seen a new shooter turned away for equipment reasons. If you like it you'll be ditching the 19 for a 34 in no time.

Can't help with the 3gun. Oh and welcome to the forum.

Check out section 22.2 for Production Division. If memory serves me right, if you modify your Production gun to the point it does not comply with the rules and shoot a match you will be moved to Open division.

Edited by jdphotoguy

Check out section 22.2 for Production Division. If memory serves me right, if you modify your Production gun to the point it does not comply with the rules and shoot a match you will be moved to Open division.

True, but that would only happen at a Level 2 match or above, after you declared production and it was later determined the equipment didn't comply. If he declared limited minor he would be go to go. Plus, if were talking local matches, the rules are realistically a little loose. Mag length, mag pouch placement, and power factor would all be... Just take a look around at the next local match. It's lax, even more so for new shooters. We don't want to run off new shooters, but rather educate them and let them have fun.

I'm not a proponent of laxed rules at local matches, I mean if you don't require the new shooters to follow the rules, then you are just setting them up for potential failure if they attend a Level II or higher match. With that said I can see giving the first time shooter a break, but at the next match they had better corrected the rules violation, only fair to the rest of us that are abiding by the rules.

Brief rant, not directed at anyone in this thread:

Before attending my first match I read the rules so I had an understanding of what to expect and what division I would shoot in. To many folks do little if nothing to understand the sport before just showing up at a match, that amazes me. I'm all for helping new shooters in any way I can, guidance, loan them equipment, you name it, but I think they should make even a little effort to understand the sport.

OK that's off my chest.

Edited by jdphotoguy

Thanks for the info guys. I understand the scoring for minor. I'm okay with that, or ending up in open division. Sounds cool. I just want to have fun and learn. I don't think i'll set the shooting world on fire or score a major sponsor deal anytime soon. :) Just looking for info, advice and help with the USPSA rules.

Thanks again,

AmericanHorse

True, but that would only happen at a Level 2 match or above, after you declared production and it was later determined the equipment didn't comply. If he declared limited minor he would be go to go. Plus, if were talking local matches, the rules are realistically a little loose. Mag length, mag pouch placement, and power factor would all be... Just take a look around at the next local match. It's lax, even more so for new shooters. We don't want to run off new shooters, but rather educate them and let them have fun.

We run level 1 matches like that too.....

....and we have zero interest in running off new competitors....

...we do a lot of explaining and coaching....

Will these glock 19 mods put me in the USPSA Limited Div:

-grip reduction and stippling the frame to index my support hand thumb.

In a different area, do the pistol rules, such major and minor factors, play into USPSA 3-gun rules?

Thanks

Hey!

1 - If you declare Production with this gun, the correct answer is it dosen't qualify and you will get bumped to Open. The grip reduction is an external modification and will not fly. HOWEVER: If you declare Limited, you'll probably be good to go in that division. (The rule for busting division requirements specifies a one-way ticket to Open ... Sorry!)

2 - Major and minor in USPSA 3-gun (aka - Multi-Gun) ... Well, that depends on which scoring system is in use! Under the "usual" Comstock scoring (A-B-C-D, Times, Hit Factors, etc.) Major and minor come into play and will affect your score. However, USPSA also allows "Time-Plus" scoring for MG matches. There, Major and minor are simply not considered in the scoring system. For example, the USPSA MG Nationals next month in Vegas will be run using "Time-Plus" scoring.

Hope that helps ...

Thanks again, guys.

I'm just going to show up and shoot. I'm just looking to improve my pistol craft, be it in whatever division and scoring system.

I'll keep reading the rule book, but my aim is to have fun and learn from the best.

Thanks,

AmericanHorse

I'm not a proponent of laxed rules at local matches, I mean if you don't require the new shooters to follow the rules, then you are just setting them up for potential failure if they attend a Level II or higher match. With that said I can see giving the first time shooter a break, but at the next match they had better corrected the rules violation, only fair to the rest of us that are abiding by the rules.

Brief rant, not directed at anyone in this thread:

Before attending my first match I read the rules so I had an understanding of what to expect and what division I would shoot in. To many folks do little if nothing to understand the sport before just showing up at a match, that amazes me. I'm all for helping new shooters in any way I can, guidance, loan them equipment, you name it, but I think they should make even a little effort to understand the sport.

OK that's off my chest.

I hear you, I went over the rules and I think I read all of this forum twice. Same token, the original poster is on the right path looking for input. I was just suggesting for him to go shoot and have fun. What's important is that we don't chase off new shooters. I shoot at five different clubs and the most successful are the clubs that welcome new shooters. We need to be a little flexible to first time shooters, some don't even know a rule book exist. To me, wrong or right, the local matches are just meant to be fun with the crew. Sure we follow the rules, but we are not hip check pouches, looking at stippling, measuring mags, or setting up a chrono for new shooters. Same time when we notice rule violations, we explain the rule, but were not going to make a big stink about it at a club level match.

On the other hand, we are ruthless on each other when we know who shoots at level 2 or 3 matches. No heart, we pull out a mag gauge when someone fires 22 rounds out of a limited gun. We also, pull out a chrono after the match and give a ton of crap to the 150 major load guys. Still all in good fun, but we have to be sure it broke the line for some. Then ask why they ran stage five in 8 seconds, but then needed 12 seconds on the qualifier?