Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

belt question

Hello. I'm going to buy the duty belt from eagle industries. How does it secure around your waist? Is it like a standard duty belt that requires an under belt with belt keepers to attach the two together? I have an uncle mikes under belt if need be. I see that they carry the belt keepers, so I'm assuming I already answered my own question, but I was hoping to find feedback from someone who's used one of these. The interior of the belt looks like velcro, so I was wondering if that provides extra traction/stability on a velcro out style belt. Thanks.

I like your choice. I have a eagle and blackhawk. I use underbelt and keepers. I like that it is very ridgid and has a security buckle. I have seen quite a few loose Velcro cr speed styles in 3 gun. There they are running with a gun in 1hand and holding up there gun belt like a fleeing felon holding up his pants. You choice will handle all the weight of gear well.

Jay

It will primarily serve as a 3 gun belt. I have a duty belt that I use for other work. It may serve for other purposes depending on work assignments in the future. However, right now, I'm most interested in 3 gun. I have not competed in an event yet, but have competed in IDPA. The appeal of the eagle industries belt was the pricing, as well as the decent/good reviews I've read about it. I'm open to suggestions & web links, but I really want to stay in this price range. I also figure that once I get out to a few matches and see different people use, I may get different ideas and buy something else. I figured this eagle belt was at the very minimum, a good starter/entry point.

Safariland ELS. Lets you swap gear if you run into an all shotgun stage, or something else weird. Outside attachment set up doesn't cover the velcro so more grabs the inner belt. Only problem I've seen is that if your waist is between holes, it can be tough to get the pegs in a pair of holes. I pulled a bit tighter and finally got it engaged. I don't like the Safari Keeper, too hard to move along the belt. Used the CR keepers to make sure everything stays together.

Well, in the interim at least, I don't plan on spending a ton of money on extra shot gun shell storage (for instance). I was planning on carrying a maxpedition dump pouch, and a side saddle on my shotgun. Could I switch belts out in between stages, and just switch to a bandoleer style SG shell belt for those weird type instances/stages? I'm trying to avoid spending that much money, at least right now. I read up a bit on the ELS system, and I wasn't really that impressed. I find the information on their site to be lacking enough details/photos to really sell it for me. I'm sure it's better than I currently believe it to be, but I'm not going to know that until I see it in use. In the meantime, could I get away with having an extra dump pouch on hand in case I need to carry more SG shells?

I really appreciate all of your help and suggestions guys, as it's all guess work for me until I get to my first match. Thanks.

I'd recommend going with a DAA or CR Speed belt system with the velcro underbelt/overbelt. You can always use belt keepers if you want to, but they will hold tighter to the underbelt. You don't have to worry about adjusting a belt at a buckle, and you have the extra space a buckle would normally take up to put shell caddies. Not to meantion they are 1.5" wide belts instead of 2", and it will be easier getting a competition products for the size. Belt change out is easier, you just unvelcro it. Its very secure. And you can purchase industrial strength velcro for $3 at walmart to put on the backs of your pouches to make your belt more secure.