Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone out there use Dykem to mark cases?

BigK

I'm not sure Sharpies are actually cheaper. The big ol fat ones with a nice chisel point are around $4 each.

Right now you can get a 32 oz jug of red or blue layout fluid from ENCO (www<DOT>use-enco<DOT>com/CGI/INLMK3?PMK0NO=1308767) for only $10.29 (online price). Plus, there's a coupon code (NCCMAR) on RetailMeNot<DOT>com which gets you free shipping on a $25 order.

I haven't tried it yet, but I just put in an order to Enco for a 32 oz jug of each color and and 2 oz bottle of each (just to get the nice felt tip applicators). It came out to just under $28 total.

For that price I could get 7 or 8 big sharpies and there's no way they'd outlast 64 oz of Dykem.

Hope this helps somebody out there.

BigK

Those small 2 oz bottles I got are only $3.69 each and the cap screws off. If the felt applicator work out for me, I'm hoping with God's grace, a steady hand, and a funnel I'll be able to refill them.

I use the 2oz bottle with the felt applicator, you can just put them in a ammo box and mark just the case head or lay them flat and mark the extractor gove they show up better that way when on the ground.

That would be cool, I have been running a red sharpie line around the belly of the case, most of the guys I shoot with are spittin out Super Comp, and everyone wants THEIRS back,...Im the only one marking mine, so they are easy to spot, I use a case gauge and plug half of it, the drop the loaded round in, it only goes in half way, then I grab the case head spin the case against the edge of a red sharpie chucked up in a vise...may not be the best but the lines are straight and very visible, gotta be an easier way always thought...:wacko:

I have though about setting the bullets on the head so they all stand up in a shallow container and just pouring some kind of ink fluid in to a 1/4" up, then drain and let dry. I would think that has the potential to be fast and low labor.

I used my Zip Trim last night to do 100 cases. It wasn't too bad once I got a rhythm going.

I was able to hold the pull handle in one hand and insert a shell and hold the marker with the other. By putting my thumb on the case holder and gently pulling the handle it tightens just enough to make a clean stripe when I pull the handle the rest of the way. Loosening the lock to swap shells wasn't bad either, I just rest the hand that pulls the cord on the flywheel while I turn the lock with the other. I never had to let go of the zip cord or the marker.

That may be hard to follow, but I can't post pics yet. Sorry for the thread drift, but how many posts do I need to be able to post pics/links?

Hmm... I've been using the spray - what about a small cup filled to ~1/4" or 1/2", dip in the back end, wipe off the base on a pad, and then set in a box... Might try that - have to order more, regardless...