Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Converting 33rd 9mm to 170 mm length

stoked4AA

Any tips, tricks, and or pics. I want to cut down my 33rd glock mags to make them USPSA open legal. What is the best way to cut the mag? What is a method of fitting a base pad that will be removable for cleaning? Ive seen it done but never payed attention to parts used for base pad.

Way cheaper than taylor freelance pads as i own the mags.

I think for max capacity you want the extended base pads that more or less square up the bottom as the glock mags are pretty much longer in the back than the front which does aid in max capacity when the back is what is measured.

So after you saw them off and epoxy base pad back on (no lip to catch base pad) how are you going to get them apart to clean. I watched a shooter lose a match from a dirty mag from the previous stage. If a mag hits the ground I won't use it again until after I have cleaned it.

Shooting Production with 30 mags.Open Glock 40 with 5 170 Taylor's, 14 140 Arrendondo's and 10 15 round mags. I always heard that you get the quality you pay for.

So after you saw them off and epoxy base pad back on (no lip to catch base pad) how are you going to get them apart to clean. I watched a shooter lose a match from a dirty mag from the previous stage. If a mag hits the ground I won't use it again until after I have cleaned it.

Shooting Production with 30 mags.Open Glock 40 with 5 170 Taylor's, 14 140 Arrendondo's and 10 15 round mags. I always heard that you get the quality you pay for.

SJC cuts them at the same angle as a stock Glock mag & then they use real small allen head screws & aradondo +5 base pads

SJC cuts them at the same angle as a stock Glock mag & then they use real small allen head screws & aradondo +5 base pads

What's the price difference between a stock mag and a Taylor Freelance that uses standard (allen) hexhead cap screws.

I didn't say I knew how. I didn't say this was how. All I'm saying is it has these parts. I have seen them but not taken the base pad off. Question... how do you know it is epoxied on and not the sleeve above it??

I totally agree with quality in what you pay for. I have TF170's

Just sharing what I know and nothing more. That is what this forum is about :cheers:

Edited by thebridge

I didn't say I knew how. I didn't say this was how. All I'm saying is it has these parts. I have seen them but not taken the base pad off. Question... how do you know it is epoxied on and not the sleeve above it??

Just sharing what I know and nothing more. That is what this forum is about :cheers:

Sorry I am a glass half empty kind of guy and start with negative thinking. Probably has to do with my Quality Control and Disaster Preparedness assignments. Think of anything bad that can happen and plan around it. I now live in the middle of 150 missile silos so I don't think I would have time to bend over and kiss my a$$ goodby.

Sorry I am a glass half empty kind of guy and start with negative thinking. Probably has to do with my Quality Control and Disaster Preparedness assignments. Think of anything bad that can happen and plan around it. I now live in the middle of 150 missile silos so I don't think I would have time to bend over and kiss my a$$ goodby.

On mine, the top sleeve of the Arrendondo extension was expoxied in place. The bottom is still removable as normal. I was born around where you are while my dad was earning his pocket rocket up there. Over 30 years later, he still hates snow.

Even with a mag gauge, you still need to know where to cut when you add the basepad back on.

Measure, to the best of your abilities, the difference between a mag with the basepad and without a basepad (just the mag tube).

The difference is the length added by the basepad.

Take 171.25mm and subtract the basepad length you figured out.

Cut the 33-round mag tube to this length and install the basepad (as mentioned, expoxy the Arredondo sleeve and clip on the pad.)

Find someone with a mag gauge to check your work.

(This is all theory BTW, I haven't actually tried it. Be sure to keep the angle of the cut the same as factory or else the basepad won't sit straight, and likely won't fit at all if it's too far off.)

What are the dimensions of the metal liners in Glock mags (thinking thickness and width along the side of the mag are what matter the most)? Would it be possible to cut a 33-rounder so as to leave enough metal to form lips like on the bottom of regular metal mags like M&Ps, Sigs, etc.? That way one could repurpose a basepad for one of those types of firearms and not have to epoxy, etc.