Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cost benefit - timer vs app

CenTexSlim

Ok, so a shot timer is needed. But looking at the threads on dedicated timers and those about smart phone app shot timers, is the benefit of a $100 dedicated timer 10x more than that of an app? I've tried the Surefire free timer and it is functional and very basic. I've researched the IPSC timer app and it has a few more features and is $10 (haven't used).

I'm all about getting the most benefit for the cost. Some may call it a tight a$$ :closedeyes: but hey, when we're pushing $4 gas and....

What do you think? Anyone with a dedicated timer even bothered with an app to give an honest comparison?

I haven't yet but I'm got a old iPod I can probably use to put the app on and try it. I really doubt it will every be as nice as my CED but for the money, you can't beat it. I guess it all boils down to what functions you will really use and if the cost difference is worth it to you (assuming both are properly working).

I haven't yet but I'm got a old iPod I can probably use to put the app on and try it. I really doubt it will every be as nice as my CED but for the money, you can't beat it. I guess it all boils down to what functions you will really use and if the cost difference is worth it to you (assuming both are properly working).

Maybe I'm not thinking far enough into the functions that are needed. What features on a dedicated timer does everyone use most? Does everyone have their favorite special feature or is it basic shot split, final, par times, etc? What is everyones opinion on what you really need to get the most from a timer?

I have tried two different timer apps on my droid and had issues with them in windy conditions. That said I had a real timer already and was just giving them a try and only planned to use if I didn't have a timer with me.

They are still on my phone as a back up.

Ive used both timer apps on my android. Never could get them dialed in. Got the CED timer and love it. It works perfectly every time.

In my opinion it's worth it to buy a timer. Think how fast you blow thru 120 in ammo. This you can have for years

So is most of the trouble with apps things like wind and getting it to recognize shots? Is the benefit of a dedicated timer just reliability?

Reliability for sure. Secondly I can just clip it to my belt and run drills solo as well, which is nice.

One thing I remembered about the android app is the fact that smartphones are touchscreen. That means you don't want your dirty hands all over your phone. Plus the screen goes into screensaver mode so then you have to unlock the phone every few minutes to use it.

So I would say reliability and then ease of use.

I've got the Surefire shot timer app for my iPad. I couldn't get it to work reliably. I also didn't like the idea of flying brass landing on the screen. Now, I only use the Surefire app for dry firing because I can set the buzzer to a quieter level than my CED 8000 timer.

I tried apps for my Android phone, as well as for my iPad, and they were generally good enough for home. On the range, nothing beats my CED7000 Pro. Especially the multiple Par feature and the ability to setup, time, and score an entire match.

Plus, at the range even if I'm practicing I don't want to be bothered by phone calls, emails, or text messages. My phone is for communicating, my timer is for communicating my need to practice more.

Good points all around. Most of the knocks on the apps seem that they could be taken care of be turning the screen lock off, putting it on airplane mode while practicing, etc. For $10, if you go that way it seems useful for practice to have an app. And mainly talking practice here and assuming you already have the phone... I still don't know that I've heard anyone really stating the case that a dedicated timer has 10x the benefit of an app.

I'm not trying to convince myself or anyone else that an app is better. Both have their place. But for a regular guy practicin... Live fire and dry, not using for matches, outside of posible reliability issues, what else does a dedicated timer do better?

Another benefit of a dedicated timer is that you can use it without looking at the screen due to the real buttons. I think an app is worth a try as a practice tool, but if I'm running shooters in a match, I need a real timer.

<br />Good points all around.  Most of the knocks on the apps seem that they could be taken care of be turning the screen lock off, putting it on airplane mode while practicing, etc.  For $10, if you go that way it seems useful for practice to have an app.  And mainly talking practice here and assuming you already have the phone... I still don't know that I've heard anyone really stating the case that a dedicated timer has 10x the benefit of an app.<br /><br />I'm not trying to convince myself or anyone else that an app is better.  Both have their place.  But for a regular guy practicin... Live fire and dry, not using for matches, outside of posible reliability issues, what else does a dedicated timer do better?<br />
<br /><br /><br />

The Surefire app is programmed to turn off the screen lock feature in iPads.

My CED is about 100x more reliable, so it's definitely worth 10x the price.

Bottom-line....cry once. With the app, you'll either want to upgrade to an app that's closer to a real timer, or you'll eventually want a real timer. Buy cheap, pay twice (at least). Buy the good stuff, cry once.

One of the things I've read is that the noise-canceling features on iPhone 4, 4s, and probably better Andriod phones is the main culprit in unreliable shot detection. Exactly the behavior you normally want from a phone works against a shot timer app. Also, since iPods do not have microphones, you must use an wired external mic with an iPod touch.

I'm a iOS developer, and I'm not going to mess around with making a timer app. It sounds like a great idea, but the hardware actually works against such an application.

I've been using the free IPSC Shot Timer on Android while i save up to see if I want a real timer. So far I'm happy with it. Its as accurate as it needs to be and I haven't had any issues with it picking up wind or anything after I calibrate it. If I had one complaint its that it only does par times in whole seconds.

• 2 weeks later...

I gave the surefire app a shot and it only picked up 6 of 9 shots fired. Wasn't too thrilled about it. Fortunately a friend had his CED7000 and I was able to get some good training in.

Monty

I tried using apps at matches and at the range, they were always unreliable and frustrating. I only use them for dryfire now since I don' annoy everyone with loud beeps.

My CED was well worth the money, I didn't know how valuable it was until I had one with me at the range. I wish I bought one MUCH sooner.

• 4 weeks later...

I've been using the free IPSC Shot Timer on Android while i save up to see if I want a real timer. So far I'm happy with it. Its as accurate as it needs to be and I haven't had any issues with it picking up wind or anything after I calibrate it. If I had one complaint its that it only does par times in whole seconds.

The new beta release of ipsc shot timer has par times in tenths. Pretty neat.

I have a CED 8000, Pocket Pro II, and the Surefire App. Agree with above. App is great for dryfire and reload training but dedicated timer is the way to go for live fire.

I never got any of the free android apps to work on my HTC Evo, i just got an Iphone 4s, the surefire app didn't work, even after i calibrated it a few times. the "Free Shot Timer" by Innovative Applications worked pretty good. I didn't calibrate it or anything, it just worked when i loaded it. No extra shots recorded on plates, it also has a good delay feature to give you time to work it yourself. I can see that the 10$ one might be nicer, but i can't see that a "real" timer is worth the money.

If you guys are worried about your touch screens, get a good case. a piece of brass isn't anything...