Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Outdoor range bags?

fsbk366

Anyone know of a good range bag that can handle outdoor conditions without worry? I mean setting it down in a muddy puddle of water, and maybe some light rain. The range I go to is less than optimal, and I'd prefer a bag I don't have to worry about soaking up ground water/mud. Size isn't a major concern, but maybe a medium sized bag.

We made some shooting bags using old blue jeans. Cut off the legs, 2 bags per leg, sew them up like a pillow, and filled them with plastic pellets. Not water proof, but stable, light , and easily dried.

Edited by Dave Campbell

Mostly just pistol, but it might double on the random rifle/3-gun day.

I would prefer it if the bag was waterproof naturally, without having to put on a cover.

Good luck if you find one let us know

I like to keep it light for the most part, so I have a bag (or a box, whatever) that I keep in my truck with larger tools, targets, etc. that I leave in there permanently and carry a Maxpedition Versipack http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/JUMBO-VERSIPACK-65p6.htm around the match. I used to do the full bag thing, but then it started to weigh a ton and just wondered what exactly I thought I was gaining by carrying around a bunch of stuff when I only really used a small percentage.

If I need anything that won't fit in the Versipack, which is rare, I just head back to the truck and take care of it there. This pack has a comfortable shoulder strap and is big enough for basic maintenance/cleaning tools, all the ammo you'll need, magazines, water bottle, cell phone, and minor medical stuff. One of the nice things about the Versipack is that it has a "hidden" holster that I can use for carrying a .22lr or my regular pistol if I'm just at the range practicing and don't want to bother with my full rig. A buddy has a UTG ripoff that is pretty much identical and probably cost 25% of the Maxpedition, but the Maxpedition is built like a tank; I've been carrying it for years, including hiking, camping, and fishing, and it still looks new.

As far as rainproof... I live in the Mojave Desert, so I can't help ya too much there!!! I'd think that most canvas bags could be Scotch-guarded, maybe? Maybe the shoulder strap could be used to hang it from a tree or post rather than setting it in the mud when the conditions are poor?