Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

the perfect 6 shot revolver for IDPA/IPSC

hopalong

after some thinking and wishing this is what I have come up with. :blink:

for a six shot revolver to use in either IPSC/USPSA/ICORE and IDPA

I would like to see Smith & Wesson come out with a L frame that shoots .40 S&W only. 5 or 6 inch barrel for IPSC/USPSA/ICORE and 4 for IDPA.

I have short fingers and the N frame felt "big" in my hands until I got a Miculek grip to use.

I also shoot .40 S&W in my limited gun so I could tailor a load to shoot in both and then not have to worry about any other stuff.

I have this theroy that if they use a L frame then the extra "meat" in the cylinder of the 610 won't be there so it will be like reloading a 625 but not having the "big" gun. :)

I know it is only hoping and wishing but anybody else have a "wish gun" ?

Sam Keen

Roundgun shooter,

Tell me more.... I am verrrrrry interested......are they available, how much, how long of a wait period from order to receipt?

HELP !!!!!!!

I have not heard about this model, it looks like the cylinder is made of another material, are there barrel length options?

I have only concentrated on revolver shooting for the past 8 months but have come to really enjoy it, and esp when smoking the Bottom feeders :D

Sam

I found one just like the gun pictured above for $419 at the local Sportsman's Warehouse store, but I believe it was discounted heavily as a clearance item. They had two left, and a friend bought the other. Might be worth checking the various stores to see if they have any more (www.sportsmanswarehouse.com). My understanding is that this was a special run of 900 guns, to use up parts left over from the original Performance Center 646 project.

I really like this gun for IDPA, and have been hanging in there with the best local auto shooters on stages that are reasonably "revolver neutral." Reloads are not quite as fast as a good 25-2 or 625, but close. I shoot a 135-gr. Rainier coated bullet at about 128 p.f., and it's very comfortable (although it doesn't seem all that incredibly accurate). Miculek grips, Blade-Tech tec-lok holster and moonclip holders. (To be extra tactical, I even carry it concealed to the match loaded with Fed. Hydra-Shoks.) Moonclips are available from Brownells.

The gun does have a titanium cylinder, but mine has caused no problems. I've heard the original run of Performance Center 646s were problematic in that area. (They were also much more expensive.) I chamfered the cylinder a little to quicken things up, again with no problems. I did an action job on the gun, and everything smoothed up real nice.

I have not shot IPSC major power loads through my gun, as I have a 25-2 I use for IPSC, but I have heard that the recoil generated by major loads in the 646 is just at the edge of getting a little uncomfortable for some people.

Neat gun. I recommend you give it a try.

Mike

I have a 646 L frame. I tried in USPSA. Transitioned very quickly. Recoil is pretty wicked 'at least for me' at 165 PF. Don't really notice at a match but in practice it will get your attention after a 100 or so rounds. I shoot wood grips and rubber would help but how much I don't know. 646 only available in 4". I went to 610 5" after moth balling my 610 6.5" which for me was way to muzzle heavy. Anything over 4" not legal IDPA. Good shooting.

Roundgun shooter,

Tell me more....  I am verrrrrry interested......are they available, how much, how long of a wait period from order to receipt?

HELP !!!!!!!

I have not heard about this model, it looks like the cylinder is made of another material, are there barrel length options?

I have only concentrated on revolver shooting for the past 8 months but have come to really enjoy it, and esp when smoking the Bottom feeders  :D

Sam

Go to Gunsamerica.com and search "646" It will turn up the 2 I found for sale.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/search.cgi

Regards,

hopalong,

I have a 646 in the safe right now. It is a lighter gun than the 610 as it is on a "L" frame with a titanium cylinder. The only problem I can find with the gun is that, IMHO, it is a bit light for IPSC. When 165 pf or greater loads are shot, the lightness of the gun puts all the recoil in the hands of the shooter just like shoepop said. However, in shooting the lesser pf allowed in IDPA, it would probably be the cats meow.

It's a neat looking gun with that 'sexy' titanium cylinder giving it a two-tone look with the Uncle Mike grips.

Good luck with finding one.

dj

DAJARREL

how does it compare using 165,000 pf loads to the 686 using 357 magnum loads?

I have a 4 inch 610 I am using with Miculek grips on it and they make it better to handle with my short fingers. the 625 I double charged is at S&W and I should be getting news on it any day now, it is a 5 incher and I really like it but maybe a 5 inch 646?( if there is such an animal) or maybe the long 610 barrel on the 646?

I personally have no qualms about using the 4 inch gun in USPSA/ICORE the man I shoot with (open/Limited GM) has me shoot 50 yards at 12 inch plates at least every other week and 100 yds once a month so distance and the 4 inch sight radius is not a problem, I just would like a little more weight out on the end of the barrel to help on muzzle flip. :)

and for IDPA, sorry guys but 125,000 power factor? go get some Federal Hi-Shocks in 40 S&W and see what kind of power factor they make, IF IDPA wants to have their "game" close to what the real world is they would not even go there(PF)

It does make for a real soft shooting gun though. :D and what about .45ACP in the 4 inch 625s how close is a factory load to 125,000 PF ? <_<

Ok now I will get off the soapbox.

Dajarrel, what revo do you use for USPSA/ICORE

Sam

hopalong,

Last year I got on a kick and decided to shoot reover for the Alabama Sectional match. One of my shooting buddies decided that he would shoot revolver with me. I shoot a 610 with a 4" barrel. I worked the trigger until I was happy with it and champhered the cylinder chambers so the rounds would chamber easier. I shot MG 185 gr fmj rounds over a v340 charge (I don't have it handy right now) with federal primers and a pf of about 170. We had a great time and my buddy won the State championship in revolver. We had a great time but I was kinda glad to get back to my bottom feeder. :o

The reason I bought the 610 with a 4" bbl was so I could shoot IPSC and IDPA with the same gun. I always used my major pf bullets (about 170). In my particular case, I was trying to work on consistancy and didn't want to have to get used to two different rounds in the same gun. The club I shot IDPA with has since stopped shooting on Saturdays so I don't get to shoot it any longer.

I haven't shot any ICORE yet. I haven't found a club that shoots it in the Mobile, AL area. If you know of any, I know I would like to shoot it.

If I were buying a IPSC revolver today, it would be the 625 with a 5" barrel. The shorter rounds of the .45 seem to me to be the easier to do reloads with and in the revolver game, reloads are everything ( and shooting "A's" :D ). Other than that, IMHO, there isn't any real difference btwn the 610 and 625.

FWIW

dj

I'm no fan of the 646...you can keep the titanium cylinder. :angry:

I'd LOVE to see an "all steel" 5 inch "L" frame in 40 caliber with a 5 inch barrel that uses full moon clips.

Then again...I'd love to see a winning lotto ticket as well. :lol:

Chuck, Hop: I suspect (but do not know for sure) that the strength of titanium is needed for the cylinder on this model, given the paper-thin metal between the chambers and the cylinder stop notches.

Let me ask you this--you guys who don't like the titanium stuff--have you experienced or witnessed any actual problems with them, or just have a "thing" about preferring steel?

As I indicated earlier, I've shot many different S&W wheelguns in competition over the years, and I really like my 646. I'd say for IPSC/IDPA, a 4" 610 or 625 would probably be better (or maybe a cut-down 25-2!), but for a pure IDPA (and occasional concealed carry) gun, the 646 might be the ultimate. Then again--how's that expression go?--it's not the arrow, it's the Indian....

How about the new 325? what a nice gun. :P I just finished a monthly IDPA match with mine. nothing is as fast on a down and dirty stage as TI/SC :ph34r: The 2 3/4 barrel is accurate enough for anything inside 30 yrds. I might not mothball my 625 4" yet :wacko: But now that i fixed the indian :P Im looking for a good arrow :lol: And yes i had to get a 646 when i found them...I havent shot it yet . but it seems that my 325 will out speed shoot my 625 i suspect because the cylinder is lighter and rotates faster...so I hope the 646 will be the best of both worlds...underlug L frame for weight and pointability and TI cylinder for fast cylinder speed.. :wub:

I've been using a 6 shot PC 686 in 38 Super for mostly IDPA with a few USPSA matches thrown in. I like it a lot. I'm shooting minor but I think it will soon be allowed to load 38 super to major in revolver. Does anybody know how many of these were made? I don't see very many at matches.

Bill Nesbitt

There has been alot of discussion about cylinder weight and speed of shooting. My hero :D , Jerry Miculek, who generally shoots a 625 S&W, says in his "Ultimate Revolver" video that even when he shoots .10 splits, the revolver is always waiting on him to shoot the next round. I think, especially in my case, it is once again a case of "it's not the arrows but the injun"

FWIW

dj